We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santiago, Region...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Istanbul in September and am looking into going to Izmir. I am trying to look up times on this page, https:/…tcddWebContent.jsf . On the Turkish trains page, for departure it gives me Bandirma Gar, Bandirma Sehir, and Bandirma Liman. I can't figure out the difference between any of these, but even so, I have tried all of them to Alsancak (Izmir) and it keeps telling me there are no routes. Any idea on how to find the route and timetables?

Also, a more general question - since I will have 10 days in Istanbul, I feel like I can spare maybe 3 to go to the beach, and it seems like there are some idyllic ones near Izmir. However, I'm not set on it being Izmir - could be another city. My main preferences are:

-accessible by train (I LOVE trains, and would especially like to take an overnight one)

-not more than a full day trip from Istanbul

-not too complicated/expensive to get to (my concerns with beaches around Izmir is that once we get there, we would still have to take yet another bus to the beach towns, and have to worry about carrying around our luggage and everything. I suppose we could take a taxi, but believe this costs about $100 USD).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Here is the same question answered in reverse (from Izmir to Istanbul) a few days ago.

tripadvisor.com.au/…58161195

Santiago, Region...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Thanks. The train from Selcuk is different than the one from Izmir though, right? I'm not sure that the same timetable is applicable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

If you scroll down this link which is on the above link you can see the Istanbul to Izmir timetable

http://www.selcukephesus.com/trains.html

Santiago, Region...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Thank you. This is helpful. I see that the ferry timetable is only until June 10 - any idea how it will change after that. Also, do you have any idea why this is not showing up on the Turkish trains website?

Also, beach recommendations are more than welcome. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

You can use this website for the ferry timetables

http://www.ido.com.tr/en

www.seat61.com/Turkey2.htm#Istanbul_to_Izmir

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Leana, good beaches near Izmir are at Çeşme, Alaçatı and Pamucak and Kusadasi. Btw, here is my trip report to Selcuk/Ephesus and beyond. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…".

enigma...

Edited: 13 May 2014, 05:15
Santiago, Region...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Hello to all. Thanks for the ideas. Im sorry to keep insisting, but can anyone explain why I cannot look up this train information on the Turkish national train site that I mention?

Enigma...which of those beaches is the cheapest/easiest to get to from Izmir?

Thank you

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Çeşme, would be the cheapest. You can easily find a dolmush from Izmir-Otogar (Main Bus Terminal) to Çeşme.

Leana, Istanbul Fast Ferry company and Turkish Railways are entirely different companies. That is why they would not necessarily include the other companies links on their website. The timetables for IDO fast ferries till June 15th are. "ido.com.tr/images/stories/tarifeler/sefer_ta…" (Yenikapi-Bandirma is at at page 20).

good luck,

enigma...

Santiago, Region...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Hi,

Thanks for your response, but I am not sure you understood the question. On the Turkish trains website, when I look for departures from Bandirma, it gives me these options: Bandirma Gar, Bandirma Sehir, and Bandirma Liman . I have tried every single one, with destination of Izmir, and all of them say that no routes can be found. Do you know why this is? I realize the ferry company is separate - I am only looking up travel from Bandirma to Izmir.

Also, Enigma, in addition to beaches close to Izmir, are there any others that you recommend that are easily accessible by train/ferry from Istanbul? Thanks so much!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train - Istanbul to Izmir (via Bandirma)

Leana, Use "Bandirma Gar" for origin and "Alsancak" for destination and you get results. I just did it for you. Departure is at 15.58 from Bandirma Gar, gets to Izmir/ Alsancak at 21.52 and tickets cost 23 TL. when click on "select", you can choose your seats and proceed. However it also asks for Turkish Citizenship number which you do not have. You can also buy these tickets by using a travel agency like "http://www.turistatravel.com/train-tickets".

enigma...