We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

Hi, I m planning a trip to Istanbul on 15th July for 2-3days and would like your advice on the following:

- it will be Ramadaan month, is that a bad time to visit? If it is then I have London or Amsterdam as alternatives.

Any restrictions, closed attractions at that time?

- I ll be travelling solo and would like to minimise expenses. How much in your opinion will a short trip cost?

- Best area to stay in? Must see places?

- tips on enjoying the nightlife

- visa, I m told I can get it on arrival if I have valid us visa, but some agents are saying that online visa is a better option..would you know?

Thank you, truly appreciate your help.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

rajatshefi, welcome to Istanbul.

You do not need to be concerned about Ramadan at all. You will hardly notice it. Everything is open and operate under regular schedule. No restrictions, as long as you do not observe fasting.

You should stay at least 4 days in Istanbul to fully enjoy it. You can easily find a budget hotel or hostel under 100 USD/day and spend no more than 50 USD/day on budget meals and transportation expenses. Have a look: "istanbuleats.com", and "www.sirkecirestaurants.com".

If you like fun and entertainment, stay at Taksim/Istiklal street/Beyoglu area. Chambers of the Boheme is a good hostel, "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d119651…".

On things to do, have a look at the excellent blog of one of your countrymen: "…wordpress.com/my-travels-2/…".

One piece of advice: Do not accept the offer of strangers to go to a bar of their choice with them. This is called a bar scam. If you want to socialize with anyone, take them to a cafe of your own choice.

You need to get an evisa, online from: "https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/". You can NOT get a visa on arrival at the airport. To qualify for the evisa you need to have a valid Schengen or a valid OECD member country visa (valid US visa is OK).

good luck,

enigma...

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

Thank you..got it..any specific location you d advise me to stay at..close to nightlife n tourist attractions? Also, any tips on transportation,..to n from airport and for local sightseeing?how expensive are taxis?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

rajatshefi, I already did that in my post above. Stay at Taksim/Istklal street/Beyoglu area. Public transport is excellent. Get an Istanbulkart at the metro station at the airport and use it on all public transport. Have a look. "wittistanbul.com/magazine/…". Taxis are not expensive but use public transport as much as you can.

good luck,

enigma...

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

Which hotel would you advise if I m not keen on sharing the room like in chambers?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

rajatshefi, You can book a room at Hotel Residence Istanbul at Beyoglu for excellent prices: "tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d121423…".

enigma...

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

Excellent tips by enigma, have a look at my blog for costs and all. However, I would like you to consider Sultanahmet too, since a lot of attractions are located in Sultanahmet.

7. Re: Travel advice for 3 day trip to Istanbul in mid July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 07:16