We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

los angeles
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

I see varying information. Some places say Topkapi open 9 to 5 except Tuesdays. Other places say open til 7 PM during summer season. Can anyone confirm closing times in June?

Anyone had experience going late afternoon to avoid the mobs? We will have a museum pass to avoid ticket lines, but sounds like very crowded inside in the mornings. Wonder if crowds thin out later.

Thx.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,795 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

alison, Topkapi palace is open till 6.45 pm during summer season: "topkapisarayi.gov.tr/en/visit-information" (disregard winter/summer mistake on webpage). With the museum pass you can go late afternoon, but remeber you need at least 3 hours more likely 4 hours to see the place. I also highly recommend the Archeological Museum at the Topkapi Palace gardens.

enigma...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

I had the experience of going to Topkapi earlier this month, and also in a previous visit in 2011, and my impression is that it continues to be crowded into the late afternoon. I was there until around 4pm-ish and the line-ups anywhere did not seem to have diminished since the late morning. There are still some line-ups in the morning, but early in the morning they are not nearly as bad as late morning onwards. In the early morning the only long queue is for tickets, so if you have your museum pass already then you'll be able to skip that as well and make the most of your time inside before the worst of the crowds catch up.

Once inside the palace, keep in mind also that the Treasury section and the Sacred Relics section have arguably the worst line-ups to get in due to their popularity and the relatively restrained space inside. (Personally, on my visit this year I made straight for the Treasury in the morning and managed to view the treasures with little waiting and very tolerable crowding.) After these sections, the rest of the palace is much more open and less prone to bottle-necking. The harem gets narrow and crowded in some spots too but you can generally keep moving reasonably well.

Like Enigma mentioned, it's best to give yourself plenty of time to explore, unless you plan to do a lightning bare-essentials-type tour, so starting with it early morning would be my recommendation as well. It's easier to then leave at your leisure and move on elsewhere. That's assuming it doesn't conflict with any other plans you've made.

Hope that helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

If you want to get the most out of your visit to Topkapi my advice would be to line up 30 minutes before they open in the morning at 0830.

This way you will be one of the first to enter the place and will be able to avoid the otherwise everpresent crowds and enjoy your visit.

I did the same when I visited the Eiffel tower & it was the only way to properly view it without waiting in line for a long time & then dealing with the hoardes of crowds afterwards.

los angeles
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

thanks to everyone for your advice. We are NOT early morning people. And this is our vacation!

So, that's why I'm checking on visiting late afternoon and hoping for some recent experiences.

Leaving next week - YAY!

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

Hi I am visiting with my family in June, and I am slightly confused about the tickets. Does the ticket include access to the area where the swords etc are I'm not sure if that area is called the treasury? Any help would be appreciated

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

Yes the regular 30 lira ticket gives you access to the holy relics area where the swords are kept which is called kutsal emanetler in Turkish.

A seperate ticket needs to be purchased for access to Hagia Irene (20 lira) & the Harem (15 lira).

topkapisarayi.gov.tr/en/visit-information

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

Thank you for your help!!

8. Re: Topkapi summer schedule? and going late afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:17