We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

Hi,

I'm rethinking my plans for tomorrow and looking at going to the panarama museum in the morning. Does anyone know how much it costs and is everything in english?

Also can someone tell me how to get to the 1001 cisterns and also how much it costs.

Also looking at the 7 towers either tomorrow or first thing on tues morning before I leave. How long does the train take to get there and will it take me a while to walk around as I'm being picked up for the airport at 10:30 on tues from Sirkeci area.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

tunis, The admission to Panorama Museum is 10 TL according to this website by Buraksan, "http://www.greatistanbul.com/museum.htm", and the same website does not indicate any entrance fee for 1001 cisterns. It is right here near the Sultanahmet tram stop: "https://goo.gl/maps/a4cU1".

There is no time on Tuesday to see Yedikule. After you visit Panorama Museum, you can take a taxi for a short ride to Yedikule. You have to spend at least 2 hours there to walk on the walls. Afterwards you can take the buses BN1 or BN2 from the Yedikule stop on Kennedy boulevard back to Sirkeci. There is no train currently serving that area. To go to Panorama Museum, simply take the tram (T1) from Sirkeci to Topkapi stop.

enjoy your last day in Istanbul,

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

Hi tunis, We visited the Panorama Museum right after it opened and there was almost nothing in English. It was not a problem for us because the impact of the museum is totally visual. It would help a great deal if you had a basic knowledge of the fall of Constantinople in 1453 and the accomplishments of Mehmed II. The absence of English explanations did not diminish our enjoyment of this museum, and it is possible that they may have been added since we first visited.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

You can rent an english audio guide upon entry at the Panorama 1453 museum for a small fee.

They may ask you to leave your id as security which they will return once you are done with the audio headset.

As Busy-retired visited the museum right after opening they would have most likely not had the foreign language audio guides available then as they used to mainly cater to the locals.

Nowadays they offer a more complete museum experience to people from all backgrounds wanting to get an indepth in to the person that Sultan Mehmed II was and how he went about preparing and then ultimately conquering the then Constantinopolis (Greek)/Kostantiniyyeh (Arabic)/Istanbul (Turkish).

You could make your way from nearby Fatih to the 7 towers using any of these buses

80 YEDİKULE - EMİNÖNÜ, 80B - YEDIKULE - BEYAZIT, 80T YEDİKULE - TAKSİM or catch a taxi from the museum. You could also catch a bus/taxi combination or walk from Panorama http://goo.gl/maps/V1hxZ

Panorama 1453 provides a great in depth in to the conquest as the whole museum is devoted to it.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

Hi all,

I went to the Panorama museum and used the english audio guide. It was good as an overview although I wish there was places to sit down there as some of the sections were pretty long and just staring at a pic gets a bit boring. I think having the audio guide was the best idea as without it it would be hard to understand the history of the conquest.

I didnt manage to get to the towers in the end as I was so tired after the last few days of walking around that I went and relaxed on the asian side. I'm planning on coming back again next year so I can leave the towers to then.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

It is always a great idea to leave something for the following year; although Istanbul adds so many interesting things every year that I cannot even keep up with new sights. I really had little difficulty understanding the visual elements of the museum. I am sure if I could read Turkish I would have added lots of details to my general knowledge. I have a pretty good understanding of the events leading up to the capture of Istanbul as well as the life of Mehmed II. I found the entire experience very interesting, but I did not spend lots of time standing in front of a single visual element with the exception of the Panorama display itself.

I am glad for your review of the audio guide. For the most part I generally hate audio guides because they control the pace of my visit, and I usually have great difficulty understanding them. I am not sure if I would use one the next time I go to this museum.

I did not become at all bored during my museum visit, but this may have been because I established my own pace as much as the crowds would permit. it was very crowded with local people on the day of our visit. I have visited several Panorama displays similar to this one in the US. Generally they illustrate Civil War battles, or sometimes just a person or the body of work of a person. I am very fond of this display technique. I can easily put myself right into the display with only a tiny bit of imagination. Our children and grandchildren also have always enjoyed these types of displays.

6. Re: Panorama museum and 1001 cisterns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16