We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

Hello all,

New poster (but avid reader) here with an upcoming trip to Istanbul. It’s actually our honeymoon but she doesn’t even know about the holiday yet! :)

I am just hoping that somebody could help me with any lunchtime/dinner restaurants in and around Sultanhment (we are staying at The Ambassador Hotel) that do not sell alcohol, yet have somewhat of a romantic ambience.

I don’t mean to be too picky, but it is kind of important to us to try and avoid places that sell alcohol and as this is her first real holiday in over 13 years, I want to make it as special and as romantic as possible.

I hope somebody out there can help with this :)

Many thanks,

Billal

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

Hi Billal, I have to admit that I do not pay a great amount of attention to whether or not a restaurant serves alcohol. I rarely drink so it is not important to me to select a restaurant that serves it, but since I have no objections to what other people do it is also not a concern to me if it is available to others.

I have searched my memory and I cannot think of any "better" restaurants in Sultanahmet that do not at least offer beer and wine. Sultanahmet is very much a tourist area, and restaurants attempt to meet the expectations of tourists. Alcohol in restaurants is also rather expensive and restaurant owners do not want to miss an opportunity to maximize the amount of money they earn.

The places I can think of that do not serve alcohol in Sultanahmet are quick little steam table restaurants, like Barons on Divan Yolu that are certainly, in no way, romantic. The Sultanahmet Koftecisi on Divan Yolu does not serve alcohol, but the atmosphere is utilitarian. The food at both of these places is, however, excellent, very fast and not outrageously expensive. Small kebob shops are also generally alcohol free.

One possible choice would be the rooftop restaurant of the Rast Hotel on Divan Yolu in Sultanahmet. The last time I checked they were not serving alcohol, and I would define this location as somewhat romantic.

Another possibility in Sultanahmet might be the Sultan Terrace Restaurant located in the Deluxe Goldenhorn Hotel. They were not serving alcohol he last time I checked.

Outside of Sultanahmet you could take a ferry to the Asian side and enjoy a meal at Ciya. There are three of these restaurants next to one another. One serves alcohol. The others do not, but I do not think they prohibit guests from bringing their own alcohol.

In Sirkeci there is a small street of small restaurants called Hodjapasha Street. I think most of these restaurants are alcohol free including Namli Rumeli Köftecesi,Konyalı Lokanta and Kasap Osman. These things can change so you should ask about alcohol before you take a table in a restaurant. The little places in Hodjapasha are not remotely romantic. They are just one level above street food.

While I do not recommend them, the fast-food chains such as McDonalds and Burger King do not serve alcohol, but again, the food is absolutely not authentic and the atmosphere certainly not romantic.

On fashionable Istiklal Street in Beyoglu the popular Haci Abdullah kebob shop does not serve alcohol, and there are some other kebob places on this street that are alcohol free. Again, these are kebob shops and may not be defined as romantic.

Hopefully ResmeN, who is very familiar with dietary restrictions in the city can provide names of more places that are both romantic and alcohol free.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,940 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

Billal, a huge majority of the restaurants that are romantic serve alcohol. However I have one particular restaurant in mind for you. It is called Yakamoz Balık and it is at Çengelkoy, at the Asian side of Bosphorus, just before the Kuleli Military Academy. Here is the website: "http://www.yakamozbalik.com/". It does not serve any alcohol. Starting at 17.05 and ending at 19.35, there are six commuter ferries that depart from Eminonu and stop at Cengelkoy pier. You can return by bus from Cengelkoy to Uskudar, and either by ferry from Uskudar to Eminonu or by Marmaray metro from Uskudar to Sirkeci. And finally take the tram to Sultanahmet.

good luck,

enigma...

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

There are two great restaurants in Fatih, both close to the aquaduct, Sur and S(h)eref both of which satisfy all your needs. Excellent food, no alchohol and nice and romantic places.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

There are many places which can be found in the city that are alcohol free with a decent setting to match.

Saray muhallabecisi are a chain of restaurants serving breakfast/sweets/food that have many branches around Istanbul that was opened many years ago by the father of the incumbent mayor of Istanbul. Their closest location to Sultanahmet is located near the entrance of the Egyptian bazaar next to Yeni camii. They also have a branch on Fevzi Pasa caddesi near Fatih mosque and Valen's Aqueduct in Fatih amongst other places.

…blogspot.com.au/2012/07/saray-muhallebicisi…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d806…

If you hop on the tram at Sultanahmet for 5 stops then get off at Yusufpasa then walk near the Aksaray stop on the M1 metro line you will see a whole heap of south eastern Anatolian/Kurdish as well as Arabic themed non alcoholic restaurants around.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png

If you take the tram from Sultanahmet to its last stop Kabatas and then catch the 25E bus up the coast for 20 minutes to Arnavutköy you can sample some delicious fish with views of the Bosphorus on the upper floors of the Adem Baba restaurant closest to the pier. This place is also non alcoholic.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d8…

Route from Sultanahmet to Adem Baba http://goo.gl/uN29HT

http://www.adembaba.com/iletisim.html

Ask anyone in Arnavutköy and they will point you to where Adem Baba is as they are located on a street running parallel to the coastal road.

Whilst there if you walk 100 meters up the road the restaurant is located on after walking past the police station housed in the historic Ottoman building you will come across a yummy dessert place called Sütiş which is also non alcoholic has beautiful views of the Bosphorus sea and is a nice romantic place.

www.sutis.com.tr/eng/index.asp?action=subeler

A bit further up the coast in Emirgan that can be reached by the 25E bus they have their original branch which has recently been restored after encountering an unfortunate fire which is also a romantic place to spend time in.

If you go to either of these make sure to sample their su muhallebisi which is a light traditional Turkish sweet.

Nearby the Emirgan branch is the wonderful Sabanci museum (free entry on wednesdays)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d3…

http://muze.sabanciuniv.edu/en

You can't miss the museum as it has a large statue of a white horse standing on its hind legs in its front yard.

Nearby is also the great Rumeli fortress which viewed from above forms the Arabic word for Muhammed which was built by Fatih Sultan Mehmed.

Route from Sabanci museum to Rumeli fortress http://goo.gl/XTRA1d

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumelihisar%C4%B1

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d2…

I've given you more information then you asked for however you could join these up and make a nice day out of it.

On your return you can take the bus back to Kabatas or take the ferry from any of the nearby piers at a suitable time they operate

sehirhatlari.com.tr/en/…timetables-338.html

I'll put it to you this way, there are many many more non alcoholic restaurants in Istanbul and the rest of the country then there are alcoholic so you needn't have any dietary requirement worries.

Bit of a long winded post but these are some of the eateries I have frequented on multiple occasions that I can recommend.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

ResmeN, the OP asked for romantic restaurants in Sultanahmet that do not serve alcohol. Do you know of any non-alcoholic restaurants that meet those two requirements? I agree that leaving Sultanahmet dramatically increases the number of alcohol-free restaurant options, but I struggled to provide restaurants that are romantic and also located in Sultanahmet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

Every bodies interpretation of what a romantic restaurant is varies slightly from one person to another.

I would classify all the restaurants listed in my post as romantic & non alcoholic.

Another non alcoholic and somewhat romantic vibed restaurant is Mado on Divanyolu rd.whom similar to Saray Muhallebecisi have branches all across Istanbul

…mado.com.tr/mado-cafe/mado-cafe-the-nearest…

Using the wonderful public transport network the whole of Istanbul is at your fingertips.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

The restaurants outside Sulemaniye mosque are definitely great, if not terribly romantic. But the location's def. brilliant, and they are designed like outdoor cafes in Europe as far as I remember, and not crowded when I went there. Very calm, and just outside the mosque,so no alcohol most probably. Not expensive places, but still a good choice.

And there's a terrace restaurant again next to the mosque(on the other side) from where you get brilliant views of Istanbul, again not 100% if non alcoholic, but judging by it's location I have a feeling alcohol wasn;t served.

You should go to one of these places when you go to the Sulemaniye Mosque.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

Thanks for the replies everybody, I didn't get a notification in email inbox so I thought nobody has replied. I am ever so grateful for all the really helpful replies. I am flying out in a few weeks so I'll add these restaurants to my list of places to try.

Once again, thank you all ever so much.

9. Re: Romantic restaurants to eat without alcohol in Sultanahmet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:16