We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

Harpenden, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

Hi,

This summer I will be going to Turkey, including Istanbul, with my family. I am a 14 year old girl and would like to know what clothing is appropriate to wear in mosques, looking round Istanbul, by the beach, etc. I know that in mosques women should have their knees, heads and shoulders covered, but does this apply anywhere else? For example, would I be able to wear shorts and a t shirt in Istanbul? Thank you very much!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

Alex, other than the mosques which you know which body parts need to be covered you can wear shorts & a tshirt at all other times whilst in Istanbul as you would in Harpenden.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,514 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

Alex_loves_travellin, Aside from the mosques, wear what you would wear in your home country, in the city and at the beaches.

enigma...

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

Hi! Alex, you "may" wear anything you want BUT if you do NOT want to be bothered by men I would NOT wear shorts in Istanbul. What I do (I am Turkish living I the USA and my daughters live on the UK) and so.do.my daughter, we mostly go around in trousers, maxi skirts or long dress. It gets hot in the Summer. Our tops and dresses are mostly "décolleté" so we carry in our bags a light cotton cardigan and also a scarf so we can cover ourselves if we are visiting a mosque or are in a very Islamic neighborhood.

Of course if you are in any of the Summer Resorts (Bodrum, Cesme etc) you can wear shorts with no problem.

Hope this helps.

Have a great time in Turkey, it is a fascinating country,

Fusun

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

Great advise from Füsun. I would suggest you to not wear short shorts if you do not want to attract stares. Knee high shorts or capris would be more suitable.

5. Re: Appropriate clothing in Istanbul for girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16