We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned 3.5 Day Itinerary - Input Appreciated

Minnesota
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planned 3.5 Day Itinerary - Input Appreciated

Hello!

I have been doing a lot of research over the past 6 months and our trip to Turkey is almost here. We leave for Poland in a week, then pick up two friends and fly to Istanbul to start off (3.5 days). We then fly to Cappadocia (2 days) and finally fly to Side (2.5 days). Below is what I have planned for Istanbul. I would appreciate any input (suggestions, omissions, mistakes made, etc...). We are four adults in our 40's. Normally budget travelers and we have an apartment rented in Sultanahmet (next to the Spinel Hotel). I am a Junior High Social Studies Teacher (Global Studies and History). We are not big museum collections people, so I am not sure actually going through Topkapi Palace other than the grounds is something we will want to do. I am especially looking forward to being there during Ramadan.

I am not sure about timing, so I don't know if I am planning too much or not enough each day.

Day 1 (1/2 Day) - Arrive about 1:00. (Flight from Poland @ 6:00am, so long day already). Thought about heading to an authentic hammam, hopefully with classic/historic architecture. Not looking for touristy/"spa" hammam. Get our bearings and see the old town at night.

Day 2 (Full Day) - Viewing sites in Sultanahment (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern, Hippodrome/Obelisks). Take Tram/Fenicular to Galata Tower for view of Sultanahmet. I have a picture of this view on my classroom wall (http://www.panoramas.com/images/T/IST1.jpg). If time, Grand Bazaar / Suleymaniye Mosque.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit…

Day 3 (Full Day) - Take Tram to Topkapi for Panorama 1453. Walk along (and climb where possible) Theodosian walls towards Chora Church. Possibly walk down to Balat to catch Ferry back to Eminou/Sultanahmet. Along the way see Palace of Porphyrogenitus, some mosques, and Rum Kilisesi. If time, Spice Bazaar, Rustem Pasa Mosque, New Mosque

Day 4 (Full Day) - Currently nothing planned. Catch up of things not possible other days. Day cruise on Bosporus. Open for suggestions. (I didn't want to plan this day out without knowing if other days are doable. I want to make sure there is time for everything previously listed before adding others to the itinerary.)

Day 5 (Flight Leaves At 6:15am from Sabiha Gocken to Kayseri)

For evenings, we will probably do a Turkish Night cruise on the Bosporus. I need to go back through my saved forum posts to get food recommendations (although I do remember the special Ramadan Pide is important to try!). Since I have been working for 6+ months on this, some things have become a blur to me.

I appreciate everyone's insights and suggestions. Also, if anybody knows of a good-rate Cirrus/MasterCard/Maestro ATM in Sultanahmet, that would be appreciated too. The MasterCard ATM site doesn't like most of the street names I try to put in.

My rambling is done and I look forward hearing from all those who have filled this forum with so many wonderful tips and advice!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,678 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned 3.5 Day Itinerary - Input Appreciated

One suggestion I would make simply because of the time of year is to plan activities all indoors one day and all outdoors another day in case of rain. Right now thru next Tuesday forecast showing 0% chance of rain, but that could be totally different the days you are there.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned 3.5 Day Itinerary - Input Appreciated

Hi Rigwald,

Great itinerary! I do not think you will have time left for Grand Bazaar on the Day 2 and Spice Bazaar on the Day 3. You can do them on Day4 combined with the Bosphorus cruise. You can also do the Asian side (Kadıköy) as an evening excursion.

Do not forget to sample "güllaç", a Ramadan specialty. It is a very light dessert made with philo soaked in milk and rose water. Very yummy!

Enjoy,

Borus

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planned 3.5 Day Itinerary - Input Appreciated

Day 2 I'd do Hagia Sophia first thing as of all those listed it had the longest lines. Loved Basilica Cistern. Hippodrome took almost no time but totally enjoyable eating the corn from the vendors. We really loved the area between Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque during dusk. The Galata Tower had long lines and pricey but worth it! So loved the views from there and the Topaki Palace. Loved the Spice Bazaar and walking the area north of Galata Bridge. Also loved Little Sophia. We enjoyed the Topaki Palace but also dud it first thing which helped with the crowds!

4. Re: Planned 3.5 Day Itinerary - Input Appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:17