We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank You Enigma!

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
590 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Thank You Enigma!

Based on your recommendation we hired Hakan Kocaturk turkeytravelplanner.com/guides/kocaturk_h.ht…

as our private guide for 1.5 days. He was fabulous! So knowledgeable and personable. We learned so much and left Istanbul feeling as though we had made a friend. I will post a full trip report soon but wanted to let you know how pleased we were.

Mentioned in this post
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank You Enigma!

twocoasts, You are most welcome. Hakan Kocaturk is indeed one of the best guides in the city. Very friendly, personable but also very knowledgeable and professional. I am glad you are very happy. We are looking forward to your trip report.

enigma...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank You Enigma!

Thank you very much Enigma for all your recommendations. We'll try to use them all & write a full report when we get back from our trip.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank You Enigma!

Do you have an email address I can contact him on please?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank You Enigma!

Kelly, Yes, it is "hkocaturk@hotmail.com".

enigma...

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank You Enigma!

Thankyou

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank You Enigma!

I am trying to find any trip reports where people have used this guide so i can see their experiences and reviews but am struggling

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thank You Enigma!

Use the search box at the top of this post.

I found this: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SearchForums?q=hakan+kocaturk&s=%20&o=10&ff=368&geo=293974

Link isn't working, so you'll have to cut & paste.

Edited: 25 March 2015, 13:05
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thank You Enigma!

I am traveling alone in Istanbul, would maybe want to guide in the Grand Bazaar, is there a range that the guide charges per day? Do you recommend a guide for the Grand Bazaar? I will be there from April 18th through the 23rd and the 26-28th.

I will also email Hakan.

Mentioned in this post
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thank You Enigma!

Thankyou Andrew

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thank You Enigma!

@Helen. I'm trying to think why you would want a guide in the Grand Bazaar. Every dealer there will speak fluent English, so a translator is not helpful. More likely, the presence of a "guide" would increase prices by 20% (his commission).

Having said that, I get lost myself every time I go there, but then I remember, if in doubt keep going downhill - eventually you'll emerge from the Bazaar. If you keep on walking downhill you will come to the Spice Bazaar and the Galata Bridge.

If you do get a guide, ask them to start at Beyazit Square - include the second-hand book market - Grand Bazaar - Spice Bazaar (Egyptian Market) - and finish at the Galata Bridge on the Golden Horn.

Use the tram for this. It's difficult for taxis to get through those streets.

Mentioned in this post
Spice Bazaar
Spice Bazaar
1,401 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Galata Bridge
Galata Bridge
3,241 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Beyazit Square
Beyazit Square
142 Reviews