We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey in Ramadan

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Turkey in Ramadan

Dear All....

I am asking about Turkey trip in Ramdan...is it applicable. ..or shops will be closed like any islamic country and no alchols.

also for the hotels....in Islamic countries in general it is not allowed for un married couple to stay in one room together. ..is it the same in Turkey.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey in Ramadan

Hi Nermo, Istanbul does not observe Ramazon in the rigid way it is observed in Islamic countries where Islam and government are one in the same. In Turkey the government is secular, and there are few legal restrictions. You will really notice little difference between Ramazon and other times of the year. Stores, bazaars, markets and museums are all open as normal. Alcohol is available. The only difference for us as tourists is the evening festival in Sultanahmet when the residents of Istanbul gather to celebrate breaking the fast each evening. You also will find restaurants more crowded at sundown when fasting people may break their fast.

There is no legal prohibition against an I married couple sharing a room in a hotel in Istanbul. I'm not sure how a hotel would even know this. Many western women follow the custom of many middle eastern countries and retain their first names. A passport would not quickly reveal marital status, and one is certainly not required to carry around proof of marriage.

You will find Turkey much less restrictive than other Islamic nations.

2. Re: Turkey in Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17