We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

neighborhood resturants

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
neighborhood resturants

Hi all,

We are finalizing plans for first time August visit to Istanbul. We would welcome your selections for favorite restaurants in different neighborhoods. We have read reviews on forum but welcome the regular posters opinions. We are staying is Sultanmahet area and looking for a middle priced place one night with good food and atmosphere. Also, looking for same in Kadikoy one evening. Lastly, one in the Taskin area. Enigma mentioned one a street or two from the main road in Taskim that began with an "O" but I cannot find that post now. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: neighborhood resturants

Hi coastalfan, One of my favorite places to eat near Sultanahmet is Hodjapasha Street in Sirkeci, just a short walk or a one stop tram ride away. You move just far enough from Sultanahmet to avoid the high prices and indifferent cuisine of the tourist district and enjoy authentic Turkish fare. This little street is lined with small restaurants featuring specific items. I like the Iskender Kebob, the Cag Kebob and the roasted lamb shank.

In Kadikoy my favorite restaurant is Ciya's, but there are many places on the Asian side that serve local residents with consistent and well-priced food.

Enigma has several favorite places in Taksim. I often just wander down a side street & select a place that seems popular with locals.

There is an abundance of restaurants offering authentic local dishes in almost every neighborhood. Just look for a place with local customers.

USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: neighborhood resturants

Exactly the info I hoped for Busy. I appreciate your contributions to the forum and read them often. I had read that Sirkeci was more affordable and less touristy. We are excited about our first visit to Turkey and love to sample the local food on our journeys.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,244 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: neighborhood resturants

coastalfan, That could have been Balo street off Istiklal street. One of my favorite real budget restaurants that I have also visited with Bus-retired and OH, is Ehlitat Lokantasi on Balo street: "tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d1…".

Here are two good links for restaurants also: "wittistanbul.com/magazine/…", and "sirkecirestaurants.com". One of my other preferred restaurants is Mid Point restaurant next to St. Anthony's church on Istiklal street. It has good contemporay food with excellent views from its terrace: "tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293974-d3…".

good luck,

enigma...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: neighborhood resturants

We really enjoyed our meal at Pasazade restaurant in Sirkeci, very close to Sultanahmet, last month. Lovely location on pedestrian-only street with outdoor tables available. Probably best to book ahead in high season. Also enjoyed rooftop meal at nearby Imbat on the top floor of the Orient Express hotel. You can book ahead for a terrace table with excellent sea views online.

USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: neighborhood resturants

thanks for the replies all. I'll have questions on different subjects as our trip nears. We can't wait to see Turkey.

6. Re: neighborhood resturants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:16