We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Observe Salaat

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
421 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Observe Salaat

As a visitors, if we maintain a low profile and show respect, is it possible observe a prayer service in a Mosque while stay in the background and not participate in the prayer? Would this not be allowed? Or would people find it offensive?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Observe Salaat

It depends on the mosque. Blend in, looking like a local and you may increase your chances.

Also you'll have a greater chance to view morning salat as most people are still sleeping at that time. The current morning prayer time is 0500. If you get to a mosque between 0455 to 0500 you will be able to get a vantage point to watch them.

You may also have more of a chance during the day at some of the smaller mosques.

Try not to stick out and you'll be ok.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Observe Salaat

Just to note here, observing is one thing but taking pictures is another. Salat is not a touristic attraction. And a lot of people participating in these prayers will not like their pictures taken during these personal moments. It is just like during the services in Christian churches, the service goers will not appreciate the presence of people destroying the decorum of the religious activity.

enigma...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
421 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Observe Salaat

Precisely. That's why I wonder if there is a chance at to be a quiet observer in the background without been offensive. I also realize that may run into the problem that the back often is where women have their prayer.

There is noway I can blend in as a local. In a way I don't want to - some may consider that been slightly deceitful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Observe Salaat

Some mosques have the woman praying at the rear whilst others are upstairs depending on which one you are at. Are you a male or female?

Either way you would have more chance if you befriend a local observing the salaat and ask them your request as I am sure they will be able to assist.

5. Re: Observe Salaat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16