We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location, location, location

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Location, location, location

Specific location recommendation required for a 3 day/2 night stay in Istanbul where I can walk out of a rented apartment any time of the day or night and be amongst tourists and locals alike without the need to jump in a taxi. My preference would be for restaurants, cafes, dessert places to be on my door step. Of course I do and will plan to venture further than that but it's also nice to be at the centre if at all possible and be in the heart of a vibrant locale without actually going anywhere. I want to take a walk around the block and fel the vibrancy of the city and wake up in the morning and take a two minute walk to get a great Turkish or even American breakfast. On a previous trip with family we stayed in Sultanahment and also Nisantasi - I'm not looking for the same experience again (this trip is with a few friends). We will be arriving very early on Saturday morning and leaving on Monday afternoon for Dalaman airport...I'm a foodie as well and so to the extent that there are great street food places around that would be an added bonus albeit I don't mind travelling for the right food/dishes..

Taksim has been suggested but I would prefer something more specific - generally Takism seems to be the equivalent of staying near Oxford Street in London - more shopping than restaurant/cafe culture which would be the preference.

Everyone talks about Beyoglu, Galata, Cihangir etc - they seem more up my street but would love to hear your suggestions

Thanks in advance

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location, location, location

Perhaps not want you want, but we think the Sirkeci area is in a great location both for ease of visiting the historical sights in nearby Sultanahmet but also for a very nice nightlife in the Hocanpasa area, as well as good reasonably-priced restaurants on pedestrian-only steets plus close to the Eminonu ferry connections to everywhere.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 19:09
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location, location, location

A big thumbs up for Cihangir.Convenient for both north and south city area's,public transport,nightlife and eating.It is chic,arty,rather bohemian,fun and cool.You may be lucky enough to stay somewhere with a wonderful Bosphorus view too!

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location, location, location

Great, so it does sond like I have some options. I'm not that concerned about the transport links too much on the basis that if I'm staying centrally I am sure there are ways of getting around. The biggest criteria is the need for hustle and bustle on the doorstep. Any more suggestions apart from Cihangir (or in fact more first hand information about Cihangir)? I havenlt heard of Sirkeci so will try and check that out also - I assume it;s pretty central as well?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location, location, location

Sirkeci is down the hill from Sultanahmet,past Topkapı Palace and Gülhane Park.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
291 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location, location, location

I also stayed in Sirkeci during my second Istanbul visit this past May and loved it for all the reasons noted by Cinty Attorney. It’s additionally a few minutes walk from the bustling market streets around the Spice Market. Sirkeci has a great deal of activity and eating options at your doorstep, but it’s still possible to retreat to a quiet hotel room if you do your homework to find one.

6. Re: Location, location, location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17