We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping tours . need help please

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
R G
Paris, France
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shopping tours . need help please

hi .

1 - we heard from friends of shopping tours who will take you to leather factories . can someone recommend leather factories where we can find reasonable prices ? we've been to Istanbul before . i got a leather jacket from Sultanahmet area for 250 euros . i know if i pick it up from the factory , it will be a big difference in price .

2 - we also heard of carpets tours . the handmade carpets are usually very expensive . but i know there are other options . factory carpets , good quality though . can someone recommend such places ?

thanks a lot ,

R,G,

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,988 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping tours . need help please

R G, My advice is to keep away from those tours. You really do not go to factories but factory showrooms. The prices are not that low because the tour organizers all make commissions on the sales.

However if you want to go to leather faqctory showrooms, there is a good location for that where they are grouped together. They are at Beskardesler bus stop at Zeytinburnu. It iş very easy to get there. Just take the BN1 or BN2 bus from Eminonu to Beskardesler stop at Zeytinburnu. Derimod is the leading showroom but their prices are not very cheap. Also visit others and compare styles and prices.

good luck,

enigma...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping tours . need help please

What your friends told you reminds me of a date farm tour we once did in Saudi Arabia. Instead of a farm we were taken to a date factory which wasn't exactly what we were expecting. Never again.

Both of those sound like perfect tour traps. Lure the tourist in and sell, sell, sell.

The leather products at Grand bazaar are overpriced. Derimod are well known. You will stumble across many leather stores.

We bought my wife a leather jacket from Edirne's Grand bazaar a few years ago for 220 lira. Initial asking price was 350 lira. The same jacket was sold in Istanbul's Grand bazaar for 700 lira.

There are some carpet stores at the Grand Bazaar & surrounds. Look out for Chinese counterfeits.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping tours . need help please

Thanks again for the kind advice!

4. Re: shopping tours . need help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2016, 06:17