We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll roads (HGS)

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canakkale, Turkey
3 posts
Save Topic
Toll roads (HGS)

We arrived in Turkey on Sunday and on our way to Istanbul (and then Canakkale) we passed through a number of toll points. Along the way i had tried to purchase the HGS sticker (at shell petrol stations) however nobody was able to help. Also all PTT shops were closed due to a 3 day public holiday.

We were able to buy an HGS sticker today from the PTT in Canakkale, and paid 35TL for this. I have a few questions that i have not been able to find answers to yet.

How can i pay for the tolls that i have all ready passed through the last four days?

Does it matter if i drove through an 'OGS' one?

How do i know my remaining balance. Can i check this online?

How can i 'top up' my account and what is the minimum amount i need to top up?

And

Is it possible to get a refund on any remaining balance

Thanks for any help in advance!

17 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

Hi Michael,

You can pay the fines at any PTT branch. Just give your plate number and pay the amount (keep your receipt until you have passed through the passport control for going out from Turkey.

You cannot use OGS booths with your HGS.

At each payment point, you will see the amount deducted from your account. I think, 35 lira should be more than enough for you.

Hope this helps,

Borus

Canakkale, Turkey
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

Thanks Borus.

To confirm, as i understand (from other threads) if the tolls are paid within 7 days of passing, then there is no 'fine'. Is this correct, or will i have incurred a fine for all of the toll points i passed through before getting the sticker.

And, to keep a track of the balance on the account, is it only possible to do this by recording and adding together how much it charges you each time we pass through?

Thanks

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

I have had the same experience in a UK registered van (and also my own TR registered car). Go to any PTT within 7 days and any outstanding tolls will be paid. A fine is only incurred after that time.

The PTT can tell you how much credit you have on the HGS sticker. Each time you pass through the toll gate it will show how much is taken. When your credit is "low" it will say "kredi az".

Istanbul, Istanbul...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

Due to official holiday between 26.07.2014 - 00:00 - 31.07.2014 07:00 hrs

you will not charge toll fee, do not pay any toll fee for above mentioned period.

You cant use OGS gates but you can use joint gates (HGS/OGS)

Canakkale, Turkey
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

Great! Thanks for the post Numan

Sofia, Bulgaria
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

Guys... Is there a way to pay online for HGS that was over the initial 35 liras? We passed by Izmir when the alarm warned us that there is not enough credit and we didn't find any PPT to pay the difference till we left the country so I am searching now for a way to pay it.

Galati, Romania
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

Same problem as @slavchod1984.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

I know this is somewhat old, but we have a similar issue, except we got in late friday night and are leaving on sunday. All of the PTT are closed for the weekend. We can go to a shell to get an HGS but will the fines be lifted or will we have to pay them since we are not going directly to a Shell?

Istanbul, Istanbul...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

You have 15 days period to purchase HGS sticker if you purchase during this period no fine will be charged .make sure that your plate number correctly filled to the system. You can buy from shell or ptt or opet etc all same. If you have low credit on the HGS account 15 days period valid again if you add money into the account no fine will be applied. For your information fine is 11 times of normal fee. If you use turkish Gsm card give this number during application then you will receive sms messages if your HGS account below limit.

Vienna, Austria
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll roads (HGS)

basic questions remain, and wherever i look, i cannot find a

proper (or official) answer:

- is there a validity limit (months/years) on the HGS sticker?

- where on the internet can i check my remaining balance?

specially during the time i am NOT in TR and cant visit a

post office.

any help appreciated - heinz -

Edited: 25 August 2016, 22:54
Reply to: Toll roads (HGS)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted