We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with my 88 years old father

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with my 88 years old father

Hi I'm traveling to istanbul with my 88 years old father and desperately need to rent an electric scooter for him to be able to move around in sultanahmet area. I have been calling the English sites on the internet but they only supply powered wheelchair not a scooter. Do u know of any place that is renting scooters ? Please help me

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
171 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
52 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul Bosphorus Cruise with Dinner...
96 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,870 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

Sophie, You can look at the stores that sells medical equipment. Also have a look: "http://www.gittigidiyor.com/arama/?k=ak%FCl%FC+scooter", and "mobilityturkey.com/mobility-turkey-rent-scoo…".

enigma...

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

enigma2007 Thank u very much ,the mobility turkey everywhere but istanbul, I called them and it seems they do not have enough demand in istanbul. The other one's site is only local and can't be opened from abroad. Is there any chance u can find me their telephone no. Pls ? I can call them, it might be easier. You are very kind thank u

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

Hi Sophie, Like your father my husband & I depend upon mobility scooters when we travel. We own our own scooters and take them absolutely everywhere we go except for Istanbul.

Istanbul is simply very difficult with a scooter. There are no curb cut-outs so every time you cross a street the scooter must be lifted over the curb, which is very high. Sidewalks often disappear forcing one into the street to compete with taxis and huge tour buses.

A scooter might be useful between the Blue Mosque & Aya Sophia. There is a lift you can use at the exit of the Cisterns. Topkapi has many levels with small sets of steps and thresholds.

Public transportation is difficult to impossible. You might be able to ride the tram, but the process if reaching the tram platform is often impossible. The last time I inquired about rental scooters they only had large scooters. They could not be placed in the trunk of a taxi, and they would not fit on some smaller elevators.

I hate to be discouraging, but I evaluate the city every time I visit & I still believe that the city is not friendly to people with mobility issues.

I travel with a very light-weight three-wheeled walker. By using this, stopping frequently to rest & making generous use of taxis we have been able to go everywhere we have wanted to go. Every day is, however, a challenge.

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

Busy-retired, thank you for the info, the problem is it's his birthday and he insists on going to istanbul for his birthday so unfortunately there is no other choice, how about if I hire an electric wheelchair? Would that be a bit easier to handle? At least this way we can give a hand on the curbs or crossing the streets.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

Like mobility scooters, electric wheelchairs are also very heavy. I do not think they would be appreciably easier to lift over high curbs than the mobility scooter. You can, however, probably rent an electric wheelchair in Istanbul, and it appears this is not an option for a mobility scooter. An electric wheelchair will also be impossible to transport in a standard city taxi, and will have similar issues in terms of public transportation.

If you use an electric wheelchair, and if your father can manage his own transfer and step over the curb himself or with physical assistance, there will be people in the street who would help you lift the chair over the curbs.

What does your father do at home? Is there some way you can adapt his daily devices to meet your needs in Istanbul?

How many people are traveling in your party? If you have a couple of strong young people your best bet might be to take a small portable wheelchair that could be easily lifted over the obstacles that you will encounter. It would be a challenge to manage a manual wheelchair in the city, but it might be easier if you are traveling with several people.

I have one final suggestion. I have never used this agency, but they seem to serve the needs of people with disabilities who travel all over Europe. The link I am sending you is their recommendation for adaptive hotel rooms in Istanbul, but it should give you access to the company itself. I believe these people research destinations with a person who either has a disability or a person who travels with a wheelchair to check issues like stairs, doorways and other obstacles. They might have ideas for other devices or solutions with which I am not familiar. sagetraveling.com/Handicapped-Accessible-Hot…

I do not know what your father's physical condition is. When our parents were that age their bones were quite fragile. I would probably not have felt vary comfortable bouncing them across the cobblestone streets and surfaces. I might have actually broken bones by transporting them in this fashion. Is your father's physician aware of your plans, and does he have any recommendations?

Dubai, United Arab...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

Busy-retired. Actually he is a stong one thank God but he has had knee replacement on his both knees and can not walk more than 100 meters which means in the difficult moments when we can't move the wheelchair he can get up and help!!! We are total of six adults and there are three men who hopefully will help. I'm going to get in touch with the agency this morning and hopefully they will provide our requirements. Many thanks for your help. Bless you

7. Re: Traveling with my 88 years old father

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:18