We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Hello!

I will arrive at Sabiha Gökcen around 17:30 on a Saturday and I would like to travel on to Ankara the same day/night.

What possibilities do I have to get there? Is there a fast train from Pendik to Ankara now? Couldn't find the information anywhere. Or are there any bus services stopping at the airport?

I would appreciate any advice. I just realized now that this airport is really far away from Istanbul Otogar from where I initially thought I could be departing.

Regards, Christina

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Hi Christina, The fast train from Pendik to Ankara opened a couple of weeks ago, so that is one great option for you; although I do not know if there is a schedule that would meet your need to depart after you land at SAW.

I would suggest that you check with some of the LCC carriers that serve Turkey. Pegasus and Onar Air, as well as several other carriers, offer flights to cities all around Turkey at fares that are really quite competitive with bus fares. If you fly from SAW to Ankara you will not have he additional issue of finding transportation from SAW either to the otogar or the train station.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Chrisssiz, Yes, tehe high speed train is operational between Pendik/Istanbul and Ankara. Have a look. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k7662…". You can take the KM20 bus from Sabiha Gokcen to "pendik YHT Istasyonu" stop and board the train there. Here are the bus schedules: "iett.gov.tr/en/…BCs-Sefer-Saatleri". If you can catch the bus at 18.10 then you will be there in no time. Otherwise take a taxi.

Here are the current schedules for the High Speed Train "http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/home/detail/?id=2518". Unfortunately the last train is at 19.10 and you need to take a taxi from Sabiha Airport to pendik station to make it. You can get tickets from "http://hizlitrenbileti.com/" in advance , or at the station if still then any available.

good luck,

enigma...

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Thank you both for your fast answers!

I tried booking the ticket online but I only receive the following answer: İsteğinize Uygun Sefer Bulunmamaktadır

I assume this means that there are no free seats anymore? (however, the same message shows up on any dates I have checked)

Flying seems to be a reasonably cheap option, but I would still prefer to go by train or bus. So no bus service available in direction to Ankara, in case I cannot take the train?

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Chrissi, There is bus service from Istanbul to Ankara. There is bus service to almost every village in Turkey. From my perspective the problem with bus service is that I think the main otogar is quite some distance from SAW. I am sure Enigma can provide you with information on the best, and east expensive way to reach the otogar.

I do enjoy being able to look at the countryside as we travel to a new destination on the train. The high speed train is comfortable. Since it will be dark for much of your trip to Ankara there will not be much to see. While bus travel is very sophisticated, much more so than bus travel in the US, it is still along ride and it is not easy to sleep on the night bus.

My preference, if the price difference is not significant would certainly be air travel. I have been on all the domestic air carriers, and they all provide professional services at prices that are amazingly inexpensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

ChrissiZ_AUT, the high speed train between Istanbul & Ankara is a very new service and there may be teething issues with the ticketing website. If you still are unable to get them in advance I would follow enigma's advice which is to take a taxi from SAW to Pendik YHT istasyonu and then proceed to purchase the ticket in person like most locals do.

If you want to take the bus then you will need to make your way to Harem otogar (bus terminal) and take it from there. Again its easiest and the norm to purchase the ticket in person. There are 2-3 bus services every hour to Ankara as it is the busiest route.

The good thing with bus & train to Ankara is that they both get you to the city center whereas if you fly you will need to take a 45 minute bus ride in to town as the airport is located 30km out of town.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Christina,

As I have suggested before, take a taxi from Sabiha Airport to Pendik High Speed Train Station and buy your ticket there for the last train of the day.. If there is none available then take the municipal bus No. 17, 16, or 222 from the station to Kadikoy and at kadikoy go to Metro bus office facing the piers on the main road. Get your ticket and ask the person which free shuttle bus you are going to take for which departing terminal of Metro bus to Ankara. Here are the buses to Ankara. "http://www.neredennereye.com/bus-ticket/".

good luck,

enigma...

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

Thank you all again for your comments!!

As much as I dislike flying if it is not absolutely necessary, I will go for it this time.

Hoping that there will be tickets available for the train is too risky for me. If there are none I will be kind of stuck and going from the airport into Istanbul city to take the bus would also be a pain.

I end up paying 29 € with Pegasus, which is perfectly fine.

8. Re: Sabiha Gökcen to Ankara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 06:16