We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Büyük Otogar

Belgrade, Serbia
9 posts
Save Topic
Büyük Otogar

Hello,

I need some info about the main bus station- since it's so huge is it hard for orientation?

I assume there are some currency exchange offices? Is it possible to buy Istanbulkart there?

Thanks in advance.

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Büyük Otogar

Yes to both of your questions :)

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Büyük Otogar

It is not hard for orentation when you know which company you shall travel with. If you don't see it at first glance, just ask.

Belgrade, Serbia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Büyük Otogar

Thank you guys for asnwers, you've been very helpful.

Belgrade, Serbia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Büyük Otogar

sarikanarya,I must ask- did you mean "yes"- that I can buy Istanbulkart at the main bus station or that there are currency exchange offices? And I have one incredibly dumb question, but I must ask it before it's too late- can I exchange swiss franc to turkish lyra directly or it's better to change franc to euro( I can do it in my country) and then to lyra?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Büyük Otogar

Yes,I did say yes to both questions :) Yes,you can buy an Istanbulkart at the otogar and yes you can change up money there.

Most exchange offices accept Swiss Francs so you have no need to change them first to Euro's.

Belgrade, Serbia
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Büyük Otogar

Thank you very, very much for answering my stupid questions. :D

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Büyük Otogar

Not stupid q's :) and the info may be useful to other travellers too.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Büyük Otogar

Hallo!! Another question: Can i exchange Singapore dollars in Turkish lyras in the bus terminal? Is it the same rate as in the airport or different?where do you think better to exchange money? Thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Büyük Otogar

Hi,

It would be better to bring USD, EUR or GBP with you. SGD is not common in Turkey and even if you're able to change, you'll not get a good rate.

A.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Büyük Otogar

Cocomuse, Yes, you can. Here are the rates youwill get at the moment: "http://kur.doviz.com/". The best rates you will get will be at or around Grand Bazaar. however the best way to get TL is to withdraw Turkish currency from ATM's.

enigma...