We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Istanbul?!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Istanbul?!

My partner and I are visiting Istanbul for a week 29thSept-6thOct (Monday-Monday) and we can't decide where to stay!

We will be doing AirBnB. We are keen foodies, love architecture, and like to immerse ourselves in culture. Which district would be best? Should we split our time in half between the European side and the Asian side? Maybe 5nights in one and 2 in the other? Advice very much appreciated!!

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Istanbul?!

I would suggest base yourself in the Old City (Sultanahmet) as this is the historic part of the city and where as first time visitors you will spend most of your time.

If you want to sample the nightlife though, you may well enjoy spending a couple of nights at a hotel in Beyoglu where there is a very different feel (that is still the European side but is over the Golden Horn in the more modern part of the city where the locals eat and play). Stay near the bottom end of Istiklal Cad near the Tunel rather than up the Taksim Square end.

Boston
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Istanbul?!

I am going with a friend for a week in October and we booked an apt through Airbnb as well. Can't provide too much information as we haven't been yet! But our thought process was to stay outside of Sultanahmet where all of the tourists are and instead in Beyoglu.

We are still just a 7 min walk from Galata tower or 5 minutes to the Tophane tram stop that goes right over to Sultanahmet. It just depends on how you like to travel. We want to see all of the sites, but would rather stay in a more "local" neighborhood rather than touristy, so it seems like the best of both worlds. We also got a great deal.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Istanbul?!

Try nd locate hotel near sirkeci..or gulhane or eminonu

Hagia sophia is walkable from there..plenty of food nd excellent access to metro...

4. Re: Where to stay in Istanbul?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 06:16