We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
402 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Hello.

We want to avoid using Kusadasi as a base for visiting Ephesus, Miletus, Aphrodisias, etc. Can anyone suggest alternatives?

Would anyone recommend Sirince for a 4-night stay? Are there other places I should look?

My ideal spot is a beautiful, comfortable boutique-style hotel in an area with character --- the less tourist-y the better.

Thanks for your help,

B.

NewYork/USA and...
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Hi B,

There are 3 towns to stay. They are Kusadasi, Selcuk and SIRINCE. If you are looking for less touristy go to SIRINCE but there is NO night life, Selcuk has little bit life time BUT no boutique-style hotel. Kusadasi tourist town you can find everything.

Have a nice trip in Turkey

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Sorry I posted this on your other chain but here's my two cents after visiting Ephesus, Sirince and Selcuk.

I'm not sure what you plans are in the Ephesus area but I would recommend staying in Selcuk over Sirince if you are trying to avoid Kusadasi but still want to be in an active town near the historical sights. Sirince is really a sleepy little village and that may be what you want. I had considered some of the B&BS there but since we were not renting a car it didn't seem like a good place for us since its so isolated. We stayed in Selcuk which had a main shopping and restaurant district and some historical sights but mainly we wanted to be able to walk to a variety of restaurants and we able to do that. We visited Sirince for a day trip and its a beautiful little mountain town (VERY HILLY!!!! as an FYI to your friend with the stair issues) but there wasn't a lot to see and you would have to descend the mountain everyday by car to see other sights in the area. Selcuk is no booming metropolis but its more lively than Sirince and offers some historical sights itself and more local services. Our hotel in Selcuk also provided free rides to the beach, Ephesus and Sirince so that was a big deciding factor for us.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Hi like the member TallulahB.....I would also recommend Selcuk as a great place to stay to visit Ephesus...We stayed there this past Feb. and really enjoyed our time too bad we only had the one night as I woul have liked to stay a bit longer.

If you plan to visit the ruins at Miletus, Priene and Didyma it is a good spot. Also Baffa Lake is not too far away either.

Aphrodisias would be too far away and it is located closer to Pamukkale and Denizli....might be ok for a day trip but then you could spend a night or 2 in Pamukkale not only to visit the traverns, Heropolis and Aphrodisias.

If you are planning for 4 nights in the area you may also want to consider visiting Bergama ( Pergamon ) if you are planning your trip with a rental car.

Here is my post from Feb about our trip....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k9882…

Have a great trip :))

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
402 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Thank you for your posts and links. They are really helpful. I'm now thinking about Cesme becasue it might better please everyone in my diverse little group. Not as glitzy as Kusadasi and not as remote as Sirince. I have a post in the Cesme forum there looking for comments.

Again, thanks for your notes!

-B.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Hi B.

I agree with previous posters that Selcuk and Sirinci are nice places to stay.

Nice boutique hotels in Selcuk are Naz (5 rooms) and Nilya (11 rooms) and in Sirinci Kirkinca Houses are just lovely.

I think, unless you have your own transport, I would prefer Selcuk, it is a very nice small town with enough interesting things to see.

A nice beach close to Selcuk and Ephesus is Pamucak.

Good luck!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

dear Brooklynite,

You should forget Cesme because it is minimum 2 hours drive from Ephesus.

I can recommend you Kismet Hotel in Kusadasi which is the only hotel to stay (Maybe newly opened Charisma Hotel would be second choice)

I like Sirince and Nisanyan Homes are great boutique hotels, especially at sunset Sirince looks like Turkish Tuscany.

Please contact me if you have further questions.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Hi again...

My preferance for hotels in Selcuk are the Akay hotel which I posted a review about in Feb of this past year...if you look in the hotel reviews section you can get lots of ideas...Also the Hotel Bella and Nilya also get good reviews by the Trip advisor members.

OC,CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

If you are looking for completely non-touristy, try the Muses Hotel in the rural village of Kirazli. I think there is one restaurant in town, but Adrian serves fabulous food at the Muses. It is definitely off the beaten path, but an easy drive to Ephesus and the surrounding area. It is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed & is well worth the drive. I would say go to Ephesus early as the afternoon heat is a cooker! Enjoy!

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

Hi,

Since you said you wanted to avoid Kusadasi, you are probably not interested in a ltouristy night life...in which case we'd recommend Sirince.

We are 60+ year old travelers and absolutely love Sirince where we stay at the charming Nisanyan houses. As the local expert said, Sirince is very much like the wine country around Napa Valley or Tuscany: quiet, beautiful, and semi-rural.

Re transportation: We took a bus from the town square in Sirince to Selcuk (where you can catch a cab or another bus to Epheses, etc.). You might also be able to hire a driver by asking the owners of Nisanyan houses if they'd make arrangements for you (they once arranged for a driver to take us to the airport in Izmir).

10. Re: Non-tourity places to stay near Ephesus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Selcuk