We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Istanbul?

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Istanbul?

Hi - has anyone done Ephesus as a day trip from Istanbul? I am guessing it makes for a long, hectic day, but is it something that can be done? My dad is on a limited schedule and is in Istanbul for work but wants to see a few other things and I saw some tours advertising one day trips to Ephesus and thought it might be worth doing. If you've done this trip, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

Here is a recent thread addressing the advisability of doing Ephesus as a day trip from Istanbul. Perhaps it might provide you with some of the information you seek.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3089…

I suppose it comes down to how much your father wants to see Ephesus and what he would be giving up by not spending the day in Istanbul. These considerations would also be factors with respect to a potential day trip to Cappadocia (your other post). We recently visited both of these places and while we loved both of them, I would probably not have visited either of them if it would have only been for the day. But, if I decided to do a day trip and it came down to Ephesus or Cappadocia, I would probably pick Ephesus as I believe that it can be more easily done as a day trip.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

Yes,I too of the two would opt for Ephesus.The Capadocia region is large and ideally you need a 3 or 4 days to see it properly.Only 1 fleeting day would leave me feeling frustrated and dissatisfied whereas Ephesus,both the main site and the museum can be seen in 1 day comfortably.Okay it isn't the cheapest or shortest day trip but as he will be 'in the neighbourhood'so to speak(compared to NYC!) he may feel it's worth getting up a little early one morning to visit.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

I have a new perspective on responding to this type of question.

1. Some DEs and posters are adventurous and get that gleam in their eyes the moment you mention trips to somewhere new.

2. some are more laid back and prefer their comforts.

3. The first type will recommend you to go even if it means you will get back very tired, because even the fact that you had the guts to do it would give them a nice feeling.

4. The second type would feel miserable if they went to all the trouble themselves and will advise you not to bother, coming up with exaggerated reasons and excuses for not doing the trip.

so basically, it is up to you :

Selcuk and everything there can be viewed from the web. You also have a great deal of testimony on TA on what to expect there.

The tour operators will tell you how long it will take to get there and come back, and how much you would need to walk.

If you decide here's some practical advice:

tell tour guide not to take you to carpet, jewellery or leather shop. You cannot afford to waste time. Even if he says for some tea, say you would prefer it at a regular cafe in a scenic spot.

Eat at a regular and smaller restaurant, preferably at Sirince rather than one where the food is precooked. The region has some very different wild and semi-wild salad greens.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

Thanks for the feedback! My dad will be in Istanbul for about 10 days but mostly working, so he only has a day free here and there, which is why he was looking for these other options. Sounds like Cappadocia might be too much but Ephesus is doable. Appreciate the help!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

O.C.Have I got a gleam in my eye??LOL

Yes it easy to just tell people to run with it but when a question like this comes from someone who has already travelled a long way to get here(U.S.A.,Canada,Australia etc) I always think well,they've come this far already-will they ever come back?Will they ever want/be able to come back?After that I give them the facts of the logistics and leave it to them to decide is it worth the time and expense.

If they're 'local' i.e. Europe then maybe not-come back another time.But if they've already travelled thousands of km's another few hundred is neither here nor there to see something like Ephesus IMHO :)

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

Given the additional information you provided about your father's time in Istanbul, I think I would do the day trip to Ephesus if I were in his circumstances. It will be a long day, but it truly is wonderful and he will still have a good amount of time to explore Istanbul, which is also wonderful.

Bremen
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

you can book the trip from one of agencies located in Kusadasi (near by Ephesus), they can offer Ephesus tour with transfer from Izmir airport and back and even flight tickets from Istanbul to Izmir and back (my sister made so last year being in Istanbul with her husband). They booked the tour wiht Online Turkey Cruise, paid the deposit for the flight tickets and the rest of the payment at the end of the tour. Their web page is www.onlineturkeycruise.com. It will take the whole time fot this tour concerning the flights, transfer and the tour, but Ephesus is worth seing!

8. Re: Day trip from Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Selcuk