We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or taxi to Ephesus, cost of guide at gate

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
bus or taxi to Ephesus, cost of guide at gate

My husband and I are taking a 2 week tour of Turkey March23- April 6. We will bestaying at the Korumar hotel in Kusadasi. Our tour offers a rather expensive large bus 1/2 day tour of Ephesus. i was thinking of going on our own and hiring a guide at the gate. Would it be easy to get there by bus? (Brochure states, bus stops in front of hotel) Or, about how much should a taxi be? And about how much would it cost to hire a guide at the gate?

Newry, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or taxi to Ephesus, cost of guide at gate

Kouramar is a nice hotel.

Ouside-up the steps to the main road the Dolmus passes [with your back to the hotel] all the ones going to your right take you right into town - don't worry when they turn in land from the beach front as they are only passing through the residential areas- they come back out to the sea front again.

The ones going to your left are the ones you need but there are two types. You MUST get the one that has SELCUK on its destination plate.

Its a pleasant trip about 15 mins and passes Ephesus - the drver slows down and shouts Ephesus.

All the Dolmus passing Ephesus [in the opposite direction pass the Kouramar - the drivers will not allow you to make a mistake.

Its a nice Km walk from the main road to Ephesus enterance. The taxi drivers at the Dolmus stop will offer you lifts but unless you plan to visit Mary's House it is not worth what they will try and charge.

The bus fare from your hotel to Ephesus will be around 4 Lire one way .

cheshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or taxi to Ephesus, cost of guide at gate

We went to Ephesus last April: we booked a locally available Tour, with guide, lunch, carpet factory (interesting!) and St Mary's house.

Enjoyed all, but afterwards thought this: Wish we had simply read a book beforehand about Ephesus site, then done it alone.

The Guide WAS good, but had an adgenda to meet, whereas I should have liked to take my own time, to sit on a stone in the shade and listen to the echoes of the past. I should have liked to have spent longer there.

After all, if you want the stories the guides tell, well, listen to those around you! I admire the knowledge of the local guides, but the site is pretty well labelled, and you might enjoy being independent.

Good on you for going there in spring! Cooler, quieter - but still busy. Enjoy!!!

3. Re: bus or taxi to Ephesus, cost of guide at gate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Selcuk