We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing of Ephesus tour

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Timing of Ephesus tour

We're planning to visit Turkey next spring or fall and have decided to be admittedly overly ambitious for a 9-day trip: Istanbul for 3 and 1/2 days, Ephesus area for about 3 days and Cappadocia for 3 days. We are flying between the different destinations and I know it will feel like a whirlwind (but we think it's unlikely we'll be back and want to fit those 3 areas in).

I have so many questions, but the one at the moment is trying to decide whether to visit Ephesus first or Cappadocia. In trying to decide this, I'm also trying to figure out the timing of our Ephesus tour. If we arrive in Izmir in the evening we'd have to find our way to our hotel in Sirince in the dark (probably not ideal). Nonetheless, an evening arrival would mean we could then do a morning or full-day tour of Ephesus the next day.

On the other hand, if we take a morning flight to Izmir, we probably wouldn't reach the hotel at Sirince until about mid-day. Would that be too late -- and too exhausting -- to try to tour Ephesus that afternoon? Moreover, are there too many tourists in the afternoons in Ephesus and we should do a morning tour if at all possible?

Sorry for the long post. I have so many questions......

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing of Ephesus tour

The main problem with touring the site in the afternoon is the heat.Even outside of high summer itcan get hot there.It is surrounded by hills which trpa in any heat and the sun reflects off all the marble.So morning is the better time to visit.The gates open at 08.30 and once you've finished you can then go on to visit other points of interest in the area where the heat won't be so bad.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing of Ephesus tour

Thanks for the response. I agree that it seems best to visit in the morning. Are there certain days when the crowds are worse?

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing of Ephesus tour

I was there in mid-July in the morning and made this www.youtube.com/watch… which shows a lot of people, but it didn't seem to matter as it's a large open site and it never seemed overly crowded. And inside the Terraced Houses there were just my party of 6 and about as many other people.

4. Re: Timing of Ephesus tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Selcuk