We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

sheffield
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

Doing a private tour of Ephesus. Just wondered approx how much to tip tour guide & the driver. There will only be 2 of us on the tour.

Also will we need to take binoculars with us? I know about taking water & comfy shoes but not sure how near we will be to everything. Also doing Terrace Houses

Thanks very much

Best of Ephesus Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Visit to Ephesus
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Troy Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

You'll be up close and personal with most things around the site but it would still be nice to have the noccies with you as the surrounding scenery is fabulous.

As for tips,do not feel you are under obligation to give a tip unless you feel it was worth it.If it is especially good then 10% of total cost to the guide and 5% to the driver is sufficient.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

It is a fantastic place,you will be able to get really close to most things at Ephesus,be able to sit on the latrines,climb on the walls,cannot remember anything being fenced off,but we were not able to see the terrace houses,we didn't have time.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

LOL oscar...sit on the latrines..what a philistine you are...good though aren't they ☺fab view......

sheffield
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

Thanks very much for the advice

Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

We had a full day with a private tour guide; this was our last day in Turkey, so we gave our tour guide the rest of our lira as a tip.

I take binoculars every day when I'm out touring; you never know what you might want to see up close. And at a vast site like Ephesus, you might want to look at something, but it's too far (or too hot) to want to walk to it. So you can just whip out the binoculars and get the view.

Apparently this is a novel concept, as I rarely see others doing the same thing. Got the tip prior to going to all the grand cathedrals in Italy. You can't get close to the frescoes and mosaics, but seeing them through binoculars is even more awe-inspiring.

alberta
Level Contributor
178 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

Depends on knowledge of guide and cost of the trip. I never fell obligated to pay more than the agreement. If asked for a tip , always ask why?

Edited: 09 October 2011, 17:10
7. Re: sensitive I know, but how much to tip tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Selcuk