We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selcuk and Pamukkale

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Selcuk and Pamukkale

We have very little time due to flight schedule, arriving into Izmir on night of 16 Septemeber and flight out mid morning on the 18 September. Basically just one full day on the 17 September. Is there a tour company that will doe Ephesus and Pamukkale in a day out of Selcuk? Alternatively is for us to hire a car from Izmir airport and drive early the next day for Pamukkale, spend a couple of hours there and drive back to Ephesus and spend the rest of the day there. My concern is driving at night from the airport to Selcuk and getting lost. Is it an easy drive from Izmir airport to Selcuk at night? What the traffic like? And is it a straight forward drive or would I have to navigate a maze to get to Selcuk? Similarly is the drive to Pamukkale straight forward and what about the traffic?

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

You don't have enough time to do Ephesus and Pamukkale justice and you'd be much better just sticking to a plan to see Ephesus and maybe some other nearby sites. Driving at night isn't recommended, especially if you're not used to driving here.

2. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2007, 12:53
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

Hi: Dudisimo is right. Ephesus is THE place. Here's some links:www.kusadasi.biz/ephesus/

http://www.ephesusguide.com/selcuk.html

www.sirinceguide.com/

Happy Travel, LL

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

Thank you for your input. I found the following tour by Fes Travel that I think might be the alternative:

www.feztravel.com/Silk_Road_Explorer.php

It will allow me to visit the 4 places that I am interested in, Ephesus, Pamukkale, Cappadocia, and Istanbul. I think some of the days will be a long one. I would appreciate your comment on the itinerary and the company before I finalise my booking. Thank you again!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

Hello,

I am sorry but I do not understand your second question after you first one. Do you mean this full itinerary for 1 day? Or you decided to stay longer in turkey. Do not misunderstand the distances between the places are very long and you loose a lot of time traveling.

Ephesus and Pamukkale never in 1 day for sure, see Ephesus and concentrate on Selcuk's area, there is more to see.

Good luck!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

My apologies for the confusion. My original plan was to visit the various places on our own, but because of the flights schedules from Kayseri to Izmir we only have 1 full day in Selcuk . As advise by members of the forum, it is not possible to do Ephesus and Pamukkale in a day. I thought the alternative was for us to do the tour by Fes Travel for our whole trip in Turkey which would enable us to visit the places we are interested in. My options are as follow:

1. Do it myself, 3 nights in Istanbul then fly to Keyseri, spend 3 nights and then fly on to Izmir and spend 2 nights with 1 full day. Spend the day in Ephesus and forget Pamukkale.

2. Do the tour 2 nights in Istanbul, early flight to Izmir and join the tour on day 2 in Selcuk , visit Ephesus, 1 night in Kusadasi, visit Pamukkale, 1 night in Pamukkale, travel to Cappadocia stay 2 nights, travel to Istanbul with stopover in Ankara and spend another 2 nights in Istanbul.

My inclination is to go for option 2 unless there is concern about the itinerary or the tour company.

Thanks again.

Pamukkale
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

It's possible to do option 2 easily on your own without being restricted to the tour companies schedules. If you do it yourself, you'll end up using the same kinds of transport, but not having to pay for the commisions or spend half your time in carpet/jewellery etc shops as tours do, which by the sound of what you want to see, you won't have time to fit in anyway.

It sounds like 9 nights you'll be in Turkey total ?(thats what I counted, including an overnight bus trip from Pamukkale to Cappadocia) . The itinery is busy, but do able - and the only other suggestion I could add is to skip Ankara, unless you really really want to go there and fly or take an overnight bus directly from Cappadocia to Istanbul so you can spend more time in Cappadocia.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

Hi Kazzzh,

I agreed that the tour group usually waste quite a bit of time going to shopping places so the guide or the tour company can earn extra commission. But doing it on my own with bus or self drive is pretyy difficult if you don't speak the language or familiar with the road. We came to Ipoh about 3 months ago and uses a GPS to get around, the number of time we got lost and argue with the GPS is not funny. And Ipoh only have about 300,000 population. If I wanted to see those attractions in Turkey, my gut feeling is to go with the tour. Thanks Mate ( I believe you are Aussie), I really appreciate your feed back and also feed back from other forum members. I am looking forward to the trip!

Pamukkale
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

When you get to Turkey you'll understand what I'm writing here more and more in that you'll be amazed at how many Turkish people , especially in the areas you want to go to, which are major tourist areas, not off the beaten track by any means, speak not only English, but many other languages fluently. And if the person you happen to be speaking to at that direct time can't understand you, then he'll go and get his mate/cousin/uncle from down the road who can help you - Turkey really is that easy and tourist friendly. Many people on this forum I'm sure will agree that in Istanbul, Selcuk (Ephesus), Pamukkale and Cappadocia you'll have no worries at all travelling around yourself if you did decide to go that way - don't let the idea that you won't understand or be understood hamper your travel plans - many many Aussies come here and have a great time going by bus or self driving around Turkey. Mate!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Selcuk and Pamukkale

Hi Kazzzh,

Let me run this by you, say I fly into Kayseri on the night of 13 Sept. Spend the 14 Sept sightseeing. Depart Goreme for Pamukkale on the 15 Sept. Is there a direct bus service? Sightseeing on 16 Sept. Depart for Selcuk in the late afternoon. Again is there a bus service? Spend 17 Sept sighteeing in Ephesus and depart 18 Sept for Istanbul to connect my flight. Thanks Mate, appreciate your patience and help.