We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

Schenectady, NY
10 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

My wife and I will be spending 5 1/2 days in Turkey in mid May. We plan to spend about 3 days in Istanbul and about 2 days in or near Selcuk seeing Ephesus and other sites in the area. We plan to arrive about 17:30 at Ataturk AP in Istanbul and can get a flight from Ataturk to Izmir the same day leaving Ist at 19:45 and arriving in Izmir at about 8:40. My question is: Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive way to get to Selcuk at that time of night or should we plan to arrive at an earlier hour on a different day later in the week?

Also, can any one recommend a nice place to stay in Selcuk. Looking for something with charm, clean, good service, in room bathroom for less than $100 per night? Perhaps someone can recommend a pension/ bed and breakfast that would pick us up in Izmir?

thanks,

Gerry

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Bed and breakfasts in Selcuk
Hotel Mary's House
Hotel Mary's House
#1 of 36 B&Bs / Inns in Selcuk
Homeros Pension & Guesthouse
Homeros Pension & Guesthouse
#2 of 36 B&Bs / Inns in Selcuk
Saint John Hotel
Saint John Hotel
#3 of 36 B&Bs / Inns in Selcuk
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

Arriving that late at Izmir you would have to go into Izmir centre to take the bus to Selçuk,not difficult but a hassle late in te evening.Or you could take a taxi direct which will cost around 70-80TL.Some hotels pick up but the cost would be around the same,perhaps a little less.

Arriving during the day gives you the chance to go to Selçuk via train which passes very close to the airport and is the cheapest and most convenient method.You can check the times on

www.seat61.com

Clean comfortable small hotels are aplenty in Selçuk,check out the reviews here on TA.Hotels Bella,Akay,Canberra have all been recommended by regular forum users.

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Schenectady, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. I just checked the train schedule from the site you included, and there does appear to be a 21:30 train. I hope this is correct. This would give us about 45 minutes from the plane arrival to reach the train. Is this usually sufficient? How close is the train station to the airport terminal and how difficult is it to reach the train. We will be carrying our baggage, not checking it.

Are the Hotels Bella or Canberra close enough to walk to from the station in Selcuk or are there usually taxis there at the late hour when we'd be arriving there?

thanks again,

Gerry

Mentioned in this post
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey
Schenectady, NY
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

Unfortunately, the train schedule provided by the Hotel Bella seems to indicate that there is no later train at 9:30, as the schedule I linked to from your post indicated. The latest appears to be around 7, which would be too early for us. It looks like we'll need to take a taxi arranged by the hotel or deal with the buses, and I'm also not certain how late they run from Izmir. According to the hotel, they only run about 40 minutes apart, so we may need to wait some time for it as well. I'm not sure this is the best option, despite the price difference. Any further suggestions?

Thanks again,

Gerry

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Bella
Hotel Bella
780 Reviews
Selcuk, Turkey
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

Hmm,yes this schedule is a bit out of date now unfortunately.The 2010 schedule now has the last train leaving at 19.30 from the airport.

So another option is to take a taxi from the airport into nearby Gaziemir(5 minutes in a taxi) and pick up the bus from there outside Tansaş supermarket.(the taxi will want to take you to Selçuk of course so tell him a friend is meeting you in Gaziemir!).The bus leaves Izmir at 20.00 and your plane lands at 19.45 so by the time the bus gets to Gaziemir you should be there in time.If there is a landing delay then there is another bus leaves Izmir at 21.00.It takes around 20 minutes from the city centre this is why I think(hope)you should be able to make the earlier one.A taxi to Gaziemir is around 10-12TL and the bus fare around 8TL..

If you don't want to risk this then perhaps take the hotel up on their offer but expect to pay around 50 or 60TL for the convenience.Having said that the Hotel Bella is usually generous in taxi-ing guests around during their stay for free so it may be worth paying them for a transfer :-)

Mentioned in this post
Izmir
Izmir
Izmir Province, Turkey
Hotel Bella
Hotel Bella
780 Reviews
Selcuk, Turkey
Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

Ditto what Sari says - Nazmi and Erdal at Bella will not only get you the best transfer deal, they are more than generous about taking you to Ephesus, Sirince and helping out in any way possible during your stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Sirince
Sirince
Izmir Province, Turkey
6. Re: Getting from Izmir Airport to Selcuk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:18