We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

I am receiving conflicting information. I have emailed to 3 hotels about day tours to Pamukkale. Pick up time is 8:30 an drop off at 7 P.M. I need to be at the free shuttle pick up at 7 P.M. which the day tour bus can drop me off.

2 hotels told me I should make it as they will come back before 7 P.M. I can bring my luggage with me and leave it on the bus. One hotel told me to take a car instead as I am cutting very close and may not make it. Also, there is a train leaving at 7:19 PM from Selcuk train station. If worse comes to worse, I can take the train. Is it a big station? Can I buy the ticket one day in advance? How many tracks at train station?

Has anyone taken the tour and was told 7 p.m drop of back at the hotel ? If so, what time was the first drop off at Selcuk?

Edited: 31 January 2012, 13:40
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

As a resident I haven't taken the tour but I can tell you about the train station.It is only very small with 2 tracks;one going north and the other south.You can't book tickets,you just turn up,go to the booth pay and get on.

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

Thanks for your response. Is the booth a self service kiosk? Will there be a line for ticket for the 7:19 P.M departure for Imzir airport?

How long do you think the process will be from arrival to train station to getting on the train?

Also, when the train stops at the airport, will it be very easy to find the Atlasjet counter? Domestic is closed and only the international terminal is open. I will be flying to istanbul. I will be able to check in online but I need to have checked baggage. Do I still need to go to the counter?

It will be a rush as my flight leaves at 9:30 P.M. If I take the train, I will be there about 8:18 P.M.

Thanks so much for your help

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

It is a manned counter(or at least it was last time I was there).It only takes a few seconds to get the ticket and the station is unlikely to be very busy at that time in the evening.They will probably understand your rush and hurry up.

The train stops directly at the airport and it is only a few minutes walk to the terminal(although an international airport it isn't so huge like say,Ataturk so check in desks are easy to find).The fact that you can check in online eases matters so being a few minutes short of the prerequisite 1 hour shouldn't matter.

If you feel really uncomfortable about this are you in Selçuk early enough the previous day to be able to do the tour then?...and Ephesus the final day?

scotland
Destination Expert
for Kusadasi
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

it sounds a bit too close for comfort to me, Turkey time has its own beat, although if the coach driver knows you have a connection he is likely to risk all to get you back in time, including life and limb. i wouldn't risk it, do as Sarikanarya says and switch days, the tour to Pammukale includes mud bath and springs, believe me the mud and salts get everywhere and although your skin will look and feel fantastic, you will want to freshen up before travelling on

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

Unfortunately I will be flying into Selcuk at 10:30 A.M and leaving at 9:30 P.M the following day.

Thanks for your reply

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

I had experience in joining a day tour to Pamukkale and taking train to Izmir Airport from Selcuk. My coach bus returned to Selcuk at 8:20 pm! It took only around 3 hours from Selcuk to Pamukkale in the morning but over 4 hours for the way back. Why? Becoz the coach run around to pick up other tourists who booked a transfer and dropped some of them in Kasadasi and places I dunno before heading back to Selcuk.

I am not sure if other day tours to Pamukkale would run like that. You have to clarify this issue with your hotel or tour organizer.

For the train to Izmir Airport, it is punctual and comfortable (though no seat guaranteed). I bought ticket 2 days in advance. The train station is small with 2 platforms. My train was a morning train and quite full (but I managed to get a seat).

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

Was the designated time at 7P.M but your bus was late coming back? What month did you take the trip?

Thanks very much for your input.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

Well, it did not give us a designated time. Just that I expect it would take similar time for depart and return trip.

I took the trip in early January 2012.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

Yes that can be problem especially experienced during winter months.It is the quietest time of the year so local agencies often'pool'their clients to make up groups.Consequently(because people don't know they've been pooled)they then need to be dropped back off at their original pick up point and wonder why they are going all over the place!.

I would not expect this to happen in May which is a much busier time but you need to speak to the tour agencies and explain your position and fears.

UIltimately you may need to consider scrapping the plan and visit an area closer to Selçuk.

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pamukkale day tour-anyone taken it from Selcuk

When I contacted Urkmez hotel about the tour, they told me it would be a group of 15 and I would be able to get dropped of at 7 P.M at the free shuttle drop off. This would be for late May.

Was yours a group of 15 or more?