We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

I know this is rather subjective, but I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to take an extra vacation day so we can have two full days (a Friday and Saturday) to explore Ephesus, St John Basilica, the museum, maybe wander the street during market day. All the tour books aren't helpful, so I'm turning to the experts!

Right now we don't plan on going anwhere else, such as Sirince or taking a PMD tour (Hierapolis sounds attractive, I'm not that interested in Pamukkale and it sounds like it would have to do both), so we'd really just be around Selcuk.

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

I would personally recommend two days as there are so many interesting things to see in and close to Selçuk and the extra day will allow you a more relaxing tour of the area

Ephesus, of course, the single most visited tourist attraction in the whole of Turkey and the fairly recently and wonderfully restored Terrace Houses of Ephesus (separate fee payable). Just a few kilometres away just below the summit of Bülbül Dağ, is the Virgin Mary’s House (Meryemana) where many believe Mary lived from soon after the crucifixion and resurrection until she died and a place of pilgrimage for both Christians and Muslims.

Nearer the town centre is the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the 14th Century İsa Bey Mosque and İsa Bey Baths, and St. John’s Basilica at the foot of Ayasoluk Hill, considered to be the the final resting place of the Evangelist. Close to the Basilica you will also see Selçuk’s famous Storks’ Nests on the remains of an ancient Aqueduct. And you have already mentioned the Archaeological Museum and the lively Saturday market.

You may also still consider visiting Şirince, the former-Greek hill village just 8kms east of and above Selçuk. It’s very much on the tourist trail now but still well worth a visit to amble through the cobbled streets, admire the distinctive domestic architecture, the 19th century church and to browse around the small bazaar and street stalls selling everything from home made lace to locally produced wines.

Please let me know if I can help with more detailed information.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Ephesus and some of the other points of interest can be seen in 1 day it is true but Selçuk is a nice town surprisingly untouristy considering it sits next to Ephesus and is a pleasure just to mooch around.

You have already learnt there is street market on Saturday and this is well worth seeing.

You can see the place at a leisurely pace rather than the standard tourist rush around-see Ephesus(inc.Terrace Houses),temple of Artemisia,St.Johns basilica,Isa Bey Mosque,Cave of the seven sleepers,the museum,Ayasoluk castle,there is a nice little hamam there you could go to,get a coffee and sit watching the storks(Selçuks most famous residents!)and wander the little streets.

Of course if time is tight then 1 day is sufficient but if you have the time then Selçuk will reward you by relaxing you :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Snap Dande!Great minds :)

California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Thanks to you both. Your lovely descriptions of Selcuk and its surroundings have convinced me. I generally like having a chance to "get to know" a place better, and was just trying to juggle to the plane schedules. Sounds like it's definitely worth it to build in a bit more time so I can experience the wonders around Selcuk at a more leisurely place.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
990 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

As we have just recently come form Selcuk, definately would recommend staying two days. It's a lovely town and the people are nice and friendly.

Reconsider Pammukale. We were glad we went, there and back in one day on the train. A bit tight for time but you can do it if you don't drag your heels.

Train was comfortable and far better than taking a bus.

California, USA
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Thanks Buick. (Is that really your car? Gorgeous vintage make.) We now might do a PMD tour after all; my husband says he might be wanting more ruins. I'll also run Pammukale by him as well as an alternative.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

2 days better

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if we can hire a bike/scooter & visit Şirince ?

How much time is required and what is the approx cost of hiring a bike/scooter. We are in Seluck for 2 nights & might have half a few hours in the evening free wherein i would like to visit Şirince.

Thanks,

M

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Sirince is only 15-20 minutes from Selçuk and there are regular local buses doing the route so it hardly justifies hiring a scooter,but yes,you can for around 15€ a day.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Selcuk - 1 or 2 Full Days?

Thanks soo much for your quick response Sarikanarya.

Was going to take an evening (16.30) bus from Pamukkle for Selcuk but will now take a morning bus (Do you know the time?) and that evening visit Sirinice & next day do the Ephesus Tour.

We will be staying at Hotel Bella so can you guide where i can get a bus & which bus route should i take. Also will 2-3 hours be enough for a visit to Sirinice ?

Thanks