We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving To And Around Selcuk

Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving To And Around Selcuk

Having explored the public transportation options, I've decided that renting a car will be the best way to ensure a usable 12-14 hours in the Selcuk area. However, I have read some horror stories---including some on the State Department's website---about driving in Turkey. If you have driven from Izmir Airport to Selcuk and toured to see the sites(Ephesus/Sirence/Selcuk), would you please let me know what you thought about driving in that area? I would have to drive back to the airport after dark. Would that be a problem? Did you encounter major parking issues?

I have driven California's infamous 405 during rush hour if that gives you a gauge of my driving skills. I would also not be driving in Izmir itself.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

"I have driven California's infamous 405 during rush hour if that gives you a gauge of my driving skills." I dunno where that is, but I took the highway from Huntington Beach to LAX in the morning once and that was quite an experience for a Brit.

I reckon you should have no problems. Traffic density in Turkey is a lot less.

Edited: 28 November 2012, 00:48
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

Blimey, I just looked on Google maps - the 405 is exactly the road I took!

Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

Davidm1,

Thanks for the positive information.

Yes, the 405 Freeway is something so I'm less concerned about traffic density than the report I read that it isn't the custom to turn on headlights at dusk in Turkey. Since I'll be driving in the early evening, it worries me a bit.

I have read that the signage between Izmir and Selcuk is excellent. That part is good news.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

We were driven by a tour driver from Izmir airport to Selcuk: the scenic road going and the motorway returning.

So far as I could see, traffic was quite light and well behaved. I would have been quite happy driving. Selcuk is not a big town, and I don't think you would have any problem driving and parking, except that in the very centre parking might be difficult.

In Selcuk, vehicles had their lights on at night. I don't know about the roads outside town.

Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

Sydneynick,

Thank you for the information about cars' headlights. That makes me feel better. I appreciate hearing from people who have been to the area I'm planning on visiting. I believe that what they have to tell me is much more accurate than general comments on the web.

budget_travelz

Edited: 28 November 2012, 07:09
Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

The area around Selcuk is a dream compared to the 405. As long as you stay out of Izmir itself, the roads are excellent, well marked and drivers are polite. The only thing to really look out for are slow tractors at dusk.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

It's only 45mins from airport to Selcuk on motorway and dual-carriageway - dead easy. Make sure the car rental agency gives you a toll card for the motorway.

Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

Thank you, scbc and davidm1,

I think I won't worry so much about the drive anymore. I'll watch for those tractors, and I'll make sure that I get a toll card. Now I just have to find some good maps as I won't have gps.

budget_travelz

Edited: 29 November 2012, 06:25
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

selcuk ıs not a crowded city,because ıt ıs not bıg but ıf ı were you ı would visit there with tour company because you will a lot of time and they will directly pick you and you will return back together with them. ı had this experience last year and ı had wonderful tıme.

Southern California
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving To And Around Selcuk

Thanks for the suggestion, Julia S W. Unfortunately, I researched what I could get in the form of a tour, and it simply didn't work for the time I had. I would have ended up with about 5 hours at the airport with the group tours that I explored, and a private tour was out of my budget. I do think that a tour can have many advantages, but I've accepted that I will have to drive myself.

Budget_Travelz