We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in Selcuk?

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How many days in Selcuk?

Hi,

We fly into Izmir at 10.30am. We will hire a car & drive down to Selcuk to stay 1 or 2? Nights to see Ephesus etc. As we will get to Selcuk fairly early how many nights should we allow?

We will then spend 5/6 nights driving down to Antayla to fly out to Istanbul.

Thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

You could do this with just 1 night but allowing 2 will give you chance to look around this lovely area instead of just rushing throught it,especially as you'll have a hire car to use.

After the second night you can get up bright and early to commence your drive southwards.

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Thank you Sarikanarya - I will allow 2 nights.

How long will it take to drive to Fethiye using the most scenic route?

Also do you have any recommendations for reputable car hire places from Izmir airport & dropping off at Antalya?

Thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Going via Denizli and then down through Serinhisar,Acipayam and Çavdar is a very scenic route especially the part from Denizli onwards.You could do it in 5½- 6 hours non stop but expect to have a few photo stops :) A fair old drive but no real hardship with such pleasant scenery.

The first part can be on A roads or toll road and the second is on A roads-still decent ones though.

At Izmir airport all the major hire companies have offices,Avis,Hertz,Budget etc.etc.but you could also try economycarrentals.com too.They are generally a bit cheaper than the big boys and their remote drop off penalties tend to be lower too.Many forum users have used them to good satisfaction.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,967 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

pruelong, Selcuk deserves at least 2 days and even more. Have a close look at my very recent trip report to Selcuk, based upon my very own personal travel experiences.. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…".

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Just had another idea if you are up for a little adventure :)

Go from Selçuk to Aydın and then down the road through Cine,Yatağan,Muğla,Koyceğiz,Dalaman and to Fethiye.This does not use toll roads so you can stop any where.It too is a very scenic route and at Cine(prn.chin-ney)you'll see a really rather extraordinary landscape,a bit moon like,with huge round boulders strewn around.Maybe the gods had a rock fight here years ago!

Like the previous route I suggested is is easily followed,well signed and on decent quality roads.At Muğla you don't need to worry about going through the city centre as there is a ring road right around it.After you leave Muğla you'll go down a hill which gives the most stunning views of Ula and the beautiful Gulf of Gokova before joining the coastal road to Fethiye.

It is maybe a slightly longer route by an hour at the very most but again scenic and interesting,truly the heartlands of the southern Aegean.

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Thank you - just need to decide where to stay and arrange hire car!

Trying to decide between Hotel Nilya & Hotel Bella - any thoughts?

Also do we need to arrange hire car before we get to Turkey or could we organise it from Goreme - we are there for 6 nights prior to Selcuk.

Thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Both are very nice places(owned by the same people now I believe too)so go for which ever offers the best price :)

You can book the car once you reach Göreme unless you have very specific requirements.i.e. if you want automatic shift or something like that.If you do then defo book well in advance as they aren't as common here.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,967 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

pruelong, I personally checked both these hotels on my recent trip to Selcuk so my observations are based upon personal travel experience. Both are in the same neighborhood and 2 minutes walk to St.John's Basilica. In that sense they have an excellent location. Hotel Nilya is considerably more expensive than Bella, so if you are more budget oriented, you should be choosing Bella.

I suggest that you rent your car at Goreme. There are many car rental agencies there, and you will see them once you get there. This way you can compare rates also. One more thing. If you are interested in tours or balloon trips, you can easily get in touch with Heritage Travel, "www.goreme.com". I have personally used their services and they are very reliable. Here is my review of my balloon trip with the wonderful Butterfly Balloons: "tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297983-d183…".

Finally you are talking about 6 days in Goreme. Most visitors stay only 3 or at most 4 days there. I would add 2 more days to Selcuk and take it from Goreme. Have a look at my trip report to Selcuk at post No.4 of this thread.

enjoy Turkey,

enigma...

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Thank you for the advice.

We have booked the 6 nights as we are flying there directly from Australia and we want to recover from jet lag. We don 't arrive until late and we have a very early flight to Izmir on the last day.

We were going to pick up the car from Izmir airport & drive directly to Selcuk.

So can I arrange car hire in Goreme & pick up the car at Izmir airport?

There is about 40 TL difference in price between the Bella & Nilya as we are staying in March.

Yes we are going to do the balloon flight and perhaps another tour. We were staying at Kebelek.

Thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days in Selcuk?

Yes,you can go online whilst in Göreme and arrange your car at Izmir.In fact if you ask your hotel may well help you to do this if you need help.

40TL is not a huge difference but I personally don't think it is worth paying the extra for,the Bella is lovely and certainly no flea pit!

That length of time in Capp.will be good.Your first day will be wiped out with jetlag and possibly some of the second day too.

Most people only have 2 or 3 days there and rush around a lot-and inevitably end up going back there again another time to see more.You'll have the luxury of being able to do it more leisurely.

Daytimes there should be pretty decent but nights will still be cold so make sure you have a fleece for walking out in the evening,and some bed socks too :)