We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

Which Selcuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

I'm looking for suggestions for 8 or 9 days in early May, (mostly) along the Aegean Coast. We're flying to Izmir, picking up our rental car and immediately driving to Selcuk/Ephesus for 3 or 4 nights. We would like to coordinate a visit to Pammakale/Hieropolis (possibly overnight), 2 nights at Lake Bafa, and 2 -3 nights near Bodrum. Our main focus is to see as many ruins, tombs, historical sites as possible, but we don't like to rush through them. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

I'd say 2 nights in Selcuk for Ephesus, then a full day visiting Nysa and Sardis on the way to Pamukkale (a quick look at Tripolis as well), 2 nights Pamukkale for Hierapolis and Laodicea (and maybe Colossae), drive to Lake Bafa visiting Aphrodisias on the way. Stay 3 nights at Kapikiri (Lake Bafa) and use it as a base to visit Euromos, Labranda, Lagina, Stratonikeia, Iasos; then head back to Selcuk for your last night, via Didyma, Miletus and Priene. Something like that.

Have a look at this website for the ancient sites - www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=16445 - they're all pinpointed accurately on the maps.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

Thank you very much for your suggestions davidm1. Very intriguing sounding. We are flying in Izmir, but departing from Bodrum. However, we have decided to spend a night in Pammukale, in between nights in Selcuk.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

Your plan is already quite fine-tuned, and davidm1 has very good advice too (though Sardis is not on the direct route to Denizli).

I visited Iassos ten days ago, for the first time, and I thought it was really charming. My American friends had prepared a picnic which we enjoyed in the small theatre before they trecked over the hill while I checked out the seaside tea house. A pleasant, full day's outing from Selcuk, it would also be a good trip out from Bodrum.

I would add Alinda to the interesting sites around there, but the road over the mountain from Karpuzlu to Labranda is quite tricky in parts.

If you have a full day to spare, try getting to Gerga. (!)

Edited: 18 April 2013, 20:24
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

dont forget to visit Priene & Millet..near Selcuk..I espeically loved Priene and the views and the ancient site of Millet. was also very interesting..I was not as impressed with Didyma ..are Euromos was great.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

Robert said "If you have a full day to spare, try getting to Gerga. (!)"

I haven't visited Gerga yet, I saw the brown sign on the main road once. If you're in that region, Alabanda is a nice site as well.

I decided not to take the Labranda road when I was heading south from Karpuzlu 4 years ago, but took the road via the Geyik Barajı to Milas, it was a bit rough then but I think it's all asphalt now. All good scenic country roads!

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

The Becin Castle just outside of Milas was interesting in that it is incorporated directly into the cliff that it resides on.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

One of the problems (!?) with Turkey is that you wouldn't make much progress if you followed up on every brown sign you saw! I tend to miss anything Byzantine or Ottoman - almost 2000 years of history! My interests lie with the previous 10,000 years - anything BC on the whole, with a bit of Roman thrown in. Although I do like the Seljuk hans.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

If anyone is seriously interested in finding Gerga they're welcome to send me a private message.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

I guess Gerga is here - maps.google.co.uk/maps…

Quite a few photos on Panoramio. Looks like a bit of a hike to it.

10. Re: Suggestions-Driving Selcuk, Pammakale, Lake Bafa, Bodrum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 06:17