We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

How to get to Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport from Sirince?

today, 16:56

Hi, I'm on a budget and would prefer not to take a cab or private shuttle.

Can anyone please help recommend the best way to get from my hotel in Sirince all the way to Orty Airport Hotel near Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport?

I understand that you can take a dolmus from Sirince to the Selcuk bus station, and from there take another minibus to Izmir main bus terminal (Otogar), is that correct?

But how then do I get to Orty Airport hotel from the main bus terminal as google map says it's almost half hour by car.

Is there an easier or more practical way please?

I'm grateful for any suggestions as I leave for Turkey in 2 weeks!

Thank you!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

From Şirince you have to take the local bus back into Selçuk first.From Selçuk you can then take the bus or train to Gaziemir where your hotel is.Gaziemir is only about 2 miles fom the airport which is south of Izmir city so you have no need to go into Izmir city centre and back out again.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Thank you for your suggestion! It certainly clears things up a bit more.

My hotel is walking distance from the airport and they provide free shuttles to and fro. So, perhaps I can take the train from Selcuk all the way to the airport instead?

But just to confirm, is this train the Turkish State Railway train or regional train as explained on turkey travel planner?

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Aegean/Izmir/tran…

I don't really understand the timetable in that link, though. And I'm not sure how to check if the train runs on that particular day from Selcuk to Izmir airport.

And can you please tell me where in Selcuk do I take the train from?

Sorry to pose so many questions! This is my first time in Turkey and I'm trying to plan my way around as best as I can.

Thank you!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Well it's both :)TCDD are the state operator and this route is a regional route.

From Selçuk the trains leave as follows-

07.22,09.00,11.28,15.53,17.58,19.32 and 20.44.

Arriving at the airport stop at-

08.16,09.59,12.19,16.46,18.49,20.31 and 21.41

The trains run to these times every day even on Sundays.They are a little infrequent I know,but they run according to the needs of local commuters not tourists-but they are useful to us too :)

Orty Hotel is indeed very close by,maybe 8-10 minutes walk at the most.

The train station in Selçuk is just north of the main town centre,as the town centre is only very small you can find it easily.Anyone you ask(your hotel for example)can direct you.

Don't worry about the questions,advance planning saves problems later.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Thanks! You're a gem!

So, sorry to be pedantic about this bit to recap:

I take a dolmus from Sirince to Selcuk train station (which takes about 10 min correct?)

Then I take the train from Selcuk to Izmir airport which takes about an hour?

Would you know what the fares are like for the dolmus and train?

Thank you!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

The dolmuş from Şirince takes c.15 minutes,cost is probably about 3 TL now.It will drop you in the town centre about 4 minutes walk from the train station.So take a dolmuş that gives you a clear 30 minutes from leaving the village to getting to the train station so you aren't panicking.

The train to the airport takes 1 hour,give or take a couple of minutes,not sure of the cost right now but c.10TL.

BTW,mini buses from Şirince leave every 30 minutes on the hour and the half hour and the same from Selçuk going TO Şirince.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Thank you so much!

I will do as you advised and (fingers crossed) hope all goes smoothly.

Cheers!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Hi, sorry to digress a bit :)

I was doing a bit of homework and want to explore Ephesus on my own.

If I start at the Lower Gate of the Ephesus ruins and end at the Upper Gate, will it be possible to walk to the House of the Virgin Mary from there as it's nearer from the upper gate?

I read that taxis are rather expensive although all the websites suggest to take a cab to the house.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Hmmm,in theory yes,but...as it is almost a 15 minute ride by car it is an awfully long walk :)

There are always lots of taxi's at the gates and at Mary's House and of course always lot's of visitors too,and I am quite certain you should be able to find either other solo travellers or perhaps a couple who would we willing to split the taxi cost each way.Many people are ready and willing to do this because of the cost.On the way back maybe take a taxi right into Selçuk again rather than just back to the gates,many visitors do this.

Unfortunately taxi or private car is the only way to get up to the house as there are no buses on the route.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

Oh I see :)

Ok, in that case I'll definitely grab a cab then. What kind of fare should I expect to pay the cab driver for the journey from the Upper Gate to Mary's House?

And some websites say to take a minibus or dolmus from the Selcuk bus station to the lower gate?

I'm actually coming from Sirince. Should I take a dolmus from sirince all the way to the lower gate?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to Izmir from Sirince by public transport

I'm not sure what taxi's are charging for that run nowadays but likely 25-30TL+ make sure you have a firm agreement on price before you get in!

From Selçuk to the buses that pass by the site on their way into Kuşadası can only drop you at the road side close to the lower gate so you have no option.

BTW,as it looks as if you are on quite a tight time schedule do you know you can buy tickets for Ephesus online in advance?This will save you having to join the queue at the gate,you can just pass straight in.

http://www.muze.gov.tr/museum_pass

On this web site look at the left hand side and you'll see'tickets',click on that and a new window will open up with a drop down menu of all the tickets one can buy online and you'll see Ephesus.You will also see Terrace Houses too and you should buy your ticket for that at the same time.This is a complex within the main site and is wonderful,well worth the extra 15TL entry fee!

Tickets are the same price online and are undated so you can use them any day.

Youe e ticket will be sent via e mail and you just print it off and take it with you,one less queue to worry about :)