We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephesus DIY possible?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
779 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ephesus DIY possible?

Hi forum,

If I stay in a hotel in Selcuk, and have transport to and from the site covered, would you consider seeing Ephesus doable by yourself?

Are there explanatory boards on the site and good signage?

I don't really want to go with a group, as I am an amateur photographer and may want to spend more or less time in different areas of the site.

I will be going in late April. If I do go by myself, will there be better or worse times of day in respect to crowds?

Thanks ahead!

Hunbille

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

Yes off course this is doable,and you can spend as long as you want in the site.You can buy a guişde book at the gate or an audio guide plus there is good signage.And you can often overhear bits and pieces from guides talking to their groups :)

Most hotels are happy to take people down to the site so just ask them and if the weather is nice then it is only a 35-40 minutes very nice walk going past Artemisia Temple and the museum too.

Don't forget to visit the Terrace Houses complex within the main site.An extra payment needed but well worth it.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
779 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

Thanks! That is what I will do then.

Any thoughts on crowds?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

Hi,

Numerous reviews if Ephesus (incl terrace houses) under my profile.

I love taking pics too so would prefer to go by ourselves next time. As said, there are plenty if signs & some very helpful guide books on sale. Check out some of the highlights thru reviews & google, so you know (roughly) what you'll be looking for.

Crowds....hmmm...yes, always crowded! It's so popular with cruise boat trips as well as bus tours & individual travellers. We were last there in the autumn of 2012 & it was one of the busiest places we saw during our 12 day trip. That said, it's large & you can retrace your steps to catch a feature when the last crowd has wandered past. Go as early in the day as is possible for you.

Regards

Edited: 13 January 2014, 11:00
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

The site opens at 08.00 so you can go then and be somewhat ahead of the crowds who arrive 10-11.00 onwards,but as you want to linger it is inevitable they'll catch up with you at some point.

You could also wait until c.15.00 when most have left but as the site closes at 19.00 you run the risk of not having as much time as you'd like.

No escaping them these days :(

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
779 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

I'd go at 6 am if I could!

Any thoughts on which entrance?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

The top gate is the logical choice( if you get a lift there)and walk down through the site.Tour groups almost all start at the bottom so you can cover a good bit before you start to bump into them :) It is easier to walk downwards and the views of the ruins on approach are better too IMHO.

If you take the bus from Selçuk down to the site then you'd have to start at the bottom gate-unless you take a taxi to the top.

Btw,once inside you can spend the whole day in there,there is no time limit but take plenty of water and a snack with you.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

There is a cafe and toilets within the site near to the lower gate.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
779 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

Can you re-enter the site? Say go early and then return late afternoon?

I think I will get a taxi to the top entrance, thanks. And always good to know where the toilets are, when you plan to spend quite a bit of time.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

No,I'm afraid not;the ticket is single entry.Hence I said to take water and a snack with you.

10. Re: Ephesus DIY possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17