We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Seattle
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Dunk me into a Pamukkale pond!

May the Library of Celesus at Ephesus give me Knowledge!

I had posted this question eariler, didn't get a response...and will re-word:

This is part of a 14 day trip in September: 4 days Istanbul-Fly to Cappadocia-3 days Goreme-Fly to Izmir, rent a car -2-3 days Selcuk-4 days Cirali. This is my first trip to Turkey,

My Dilemma!

2 days Selcuk - see Ephesus and other sites of course

1 day/overnight Aphrodisias/Pamukkale/Hierapolis

Then drive to Cirali through the mountains/Antalya - 5 hour drive???

or

should I stay 3 days in Selcuk, make a day trip to see Aphrodisias-take a look at the famous travertine terraces-skip Hierapolis ruins

then drive along the coast to Cirali - 5 hour drive???

I guess my biggest concern doing the one night around Pamukkale, is it makes more sense to visit Aphrodisias on the way to Pamukkale but I am not so sure it is a good idea to leave luggage in the car while visiting Aphrodisias. Of course, could leave luggage in hotel in Pamukkale and double back to Aphrodisias.

Also it seems Selcuk seems a nicer place to stay than Pamukkale. Also it might be a nicer drive along the coast to Cirali.

Finally it seems either route I take (Pamukkale/mountains or Coast) it would be about 5 hours to Cirali. Is this correct?

Please help this desperate guy! Thank you!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Hi Desperate Guy,

This is Istanbul calling:)

As to your dilemma, I would suggest you to base yourself in Selçuk and self drive around area. You can also choose to take the train from Selçuk to Denizli, if you do not want to drive. Çıralı is around 4-6 hours from Selçuk depending upon your speed. Take the coastal road and give frequent breaks along your way. It is a very scenic drive and I am sure you will love it.

Enjoy!

Borus

Edited: 14 February 2014, 00:18
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Hi Desperado,

no İ think I would suggest differently. Even though Sulcuk is a pleasant town, it is small and you have seen it is 2 days. Secondly the drive along the cast from Selcuk to Cirali is really long!! From Fethiye it takes already about 4 hours. I would break the trip and stay in Pamukkale (and not waste time driving up and down!). Then drive via Burdur to Antalya to Cirali. And if you have time absolutely go and visit Sagalassos (near Ağlasun just under Burdur). That is if you like ancient Roman sites. This site is so stunning, very high above a white mountain with stunning views! True that the coastal road is fabulous but the inland road is just as breathtaking and always seems the stepchild.

Then as you do not fly out from Cirali I wonder what you do after that? You can do anyway a bit of coastal road leaving Cirali. I guess that makes your decision not easier... sorry! :-)

Good luck!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Hi again Tom,

sorry tohave not seen your previous post

here is the map from Pamukkale to Cirali

http://goo.gl/maps/FM728

the quickest route is D585 ve D350/E87

If you add Aphrodisias ı think it might be better to see it before arriving in Pamukkale however which ever way you do end of going you will have to travel back as the mountains separate these 2 sites.

http://goo.gl/maps/CtpUe

I think you should leave selcuk early morning drive to Aphrodisias and then Pamukkale reaching it by sunset..stay overnight and then make your way the next day to Cirali..you will be fine to leave your stuff in the car just put it in the trunk and common sense lock the trunk and doors..dont leave stuff visable inside of your car .

http://goo.gl/maps/4Wzp8

,your trip looks good and enjoy your holidays in Turkey

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

be sure to visit the nearby Phaselis when you are in Cirali plus there are other great places to visit

<<<Also it might be a nicer drive along the coast to Cirali.<<

too long and I dont think there are any access roads to get you down to the coast unless you head down to Kumluca..and its still a mountains road down to elmali / kumluca

http://goo.gl/maps/XNdvo

the only other roads available would take you down to kalkan and kas and its a longer drive along the coast and more curvy..better inland

Seattle
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Thank you BorusTheTaurus, VillaRhapsody and Canmon!!! Desperate guy is less desperate now. And Canmon thank you again for the info on Cirali, it seems to be a very special place.

Sagalassos was on my radar...but i wasn't sure I could fit it in. But now...maybe...

Also in my research, all your postings on the Turkey forum have been a BIG help...it is truly amazing to me how much good info all three of you provide.

A side note, I don't know how Lonely Planet did not include Aphrodisias in its guide book.

Again a BIG THANK YOU!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

I can't believe Lonely Planet didn't either Tom - it is an absolutely fantastic site. I far preferred it to Ephesus - which is fabulous - but so overrun by tourists. Try and get to Ephesus really early in the morning - or else late afternoon (it will be cooler then anyway)

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

Definitely Lonely Planet had it in the book when I was still traveler to Turkey!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

hi again TomHSeattle,

You are most welcome for the help and advise :=)) have a super trip in Turkey

8. Re: Please Help this Desperate Guy...Selcuk-Pamukkale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21