We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

Singapore
Level Contributor
263 posts
33 reviews
24 helpful votes
Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

Our family has just returned from an amazing trip to Turkey last month. I have posted a short trip report under : ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k7216620

Titled : A Big Thank You posted on 19 Feb , 17:47 .

(p.s. Robert L. - I have your name in my thank you list but forgot to type it in the trip report so here's my opportunity to thank you personally and all the others who have helped in making our trip a very wonderful and successful one.

In addition, I wish to alert fellow travellers of an incident which we had encountered and which you can avoid :

On our 1st day in Turkey, we arrived in Selcuk at around 4pm and we decided to take a walk around St. John's Basilica before proceeding to have dinner. It was closed by then but there was this friendly, dark, skinny guy standing at the entrance telling us that he worked there and would like to show us a nice view from the top. We naively accepted his friendly offer and followed him, climbing up and down behind the walls of St. John's. After about 10 mins, we were starting to feel "uncomfortable" and told him that we would like to come back the next day as the sun was setting soon. That's when he turned round and demanded money, saying that we had already entered St. John's and wanted 100TL. We managed to negotiate to 30TL and asked him to get us out. We were a little shaken being on our first evening in Turkey but we thank God that he didn't hurt us nor got a lot of money out of us. When we passed by the second evening, he was still there. So to fellow travellers, beware of this con man at the entrance of St. John's Baslica. If it is closed, stay away and come back the next day. Do not accept any kind of invitation from this "friendly" guy. This first lesson on our first day taught us to be less gullible but it did not in any way spoil the rest of our trip. Also we have met many real Turkish people who have extended endless help to us. We had an amazing and incredible trip !! THANK YOU once again to all the forum experts.

Selcuk, Turkiye
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

Thanks for this - I will look into it. I guess no one ever has the presence of mind to take a little "group photo" with their "new friend"? That would help the local authorities.

Nis, Serbia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2. Re: Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

Thank you for sharing this and I am very sorry about what happened to you.

I have reported him to Selcuk police authorities just now and I "hope" they will do whatever is necessary soon. I will post again if I get a result from the authorities.

Strangers, especially in touristic areas can be dangerous and I recommend everyone to be cautious towards these people.

Didim, Turkiye
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
60 helpful votes
3. Re: Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

Seems to be the same man but he is now offering access to the castle which is closed for renovation. He is also trying to sell coins as authentic but they are fake. He tried to sell one coin which he said was from the reign of Constantine for 100 Euros. I told him they were fake and if they were really real, he was breaking the law. In the end, he offered me four coins for 20 lira. Said he works for the excavation projects happening in the area.

Then I went to Temple of Artemis and there was another man there trying to sell fake coins as real. Spoke to a local and apparently, it is a popular con. DO NOT BUY THESE COINS. They are fake and even if they were real, would belong to Turkish government and you can get arrested trying to take them out of the country.

Singapore
Level Contributor
263 posts
33 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

We too were offered the same "ancient looking" coin by this same guy who just took 30TL from us. Of course we refused to believe him after being conned once. Later on during our trip, we found the same coins selling cheaply in a heap in some souvenir shops. Agree with Natalie, they are not real.

IB.
ny
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
5. Re: Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

Every one of those coins is a fake, and very poor fakes too. None of these guys work on excavations.

6. Re: Beware of con man at entrance of St John's Basilica

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.