We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riding scooter around Selcuk

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
riding scooter around Selcuk

Hi there, i have two days in selcuk and i am thinking a scooter to get around. Is it easy to go to Virgin Mary's house,ephesus,st john church,sirince on scooter?what about the parking?do i need to pay for parking as well?i am an experienced driver from Jakarta whose traffic is worse than Turkey,so riding for long hours is not a problem for me.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riding scooter around Selcuk

I ride a scooter round Selcuk all the time, to my shame, even in the pedestrianized streets, but very slowly. It's really pleasant and a great way to see around. The House of the Virgin Mary is a bit far for me: 10 km up a steep climb - I avoid Sundays and days when cruise ships are in town.

The road up to Şirince is also very scenic, but I avoid weekends when traffic can be bad.

Last year the local police had a big crack-down, insisting everyone wear a helmet, which the rental company will provide. In theory you should also have a motorcycle licence.

Try the rental people along the road from the Museum (currently still closed).

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riding scooter around Selcuk

Hi Robert, thanks for your valuable info. I am really looking forward to riding around Selcuk. I have a motorcycle licence and I don't mind wearing a helmet. Do we need to pay for parking as well?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: riding scooter around Selcuk

Certainly no need to worry about parking charges for a scooter! Just off-hand I can't think who rents scooters these days. You should find someone on Ugur Mumcu street, as I mentioned, but also do try asking your hotel.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riding scooter around Selcuk

Thanks Robert, I have contacted the hostel I am staying, Nur Pension, and the owner confirmed that he rents scooters. I think i am going to scoot around the road of Selcuk in weeks from now.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: riding scooter around Selcuk

Excellent! I'll look out for you. Other routes you might try:

I like to take the road out of town towards Izmir, but immediately turn left, heading for Zeytinköy. This is a flat road through orchards that leads onto the coast road and Yoncaköy or Pamucak for a swim.

Heading south out of town, you come to Çamlik. Turn right there for a trip through some beautıful vineyards - they're starting to make seriously good wine up there - and Kirazlı (cherry village) is great for an authentic "village" lunch.

6. Re: riding scooter around Selcuk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:15