We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Thanks to so many of you who so willingly share your expertise! I am wondering if it makes the most sense to go to the Ephesus ruins as soon as they open (I think 8:00) and try to beat the worst of the crowds and the heat or whether it is better to wait until later in the afternoon in the hopes that perhaps the crowds will have thinned out a bit. We will be in the Selcuk area on Sun. and Mon. Aug 31 and Sept. 1. Is there any advantage to visiting on a Sunday versus a Monday (or the reverse?) I also read that the cruise ship groups tend to start at one entrance, so as an individual it can be helpful to start at the other one and go against the tide, especially if you start first thing in the morning. We will have a rental car so presumably we can start at either entrance. Thanks!

TX
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

I'll let others speak to the entrance and day of visit. As far as time, we purposefully waited until late in the day and it paid off. We were able to see the library with only a couple of other people kicking around. Tour groups seemed to come in waves and then eventually tapered off, and that is when things became much more enjoyable. I would think two hours before closing would probably be sufficient, but you could also go earlier and then take it slow, letting the tour groups thin out if needed.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

It will be incredibly hot then so logic says go as early as possible and I personally would do this.However as mentioned going later afternoon is quieter-yes because the big tour groups have gone but also because it is just so hot.Even c.15-16.00 it can be well over 45oC in the site.There is also the danger that if you leave it too late you may run out of time and not cover all you wish to see.

The site closes at 19.00,so you really need to be in there by 16.00 at the latest so as to see everything and the Terrace Houses complex too.

As to which day Monday will be very slightly quieter as there won't be quite so many domestic visitors weekdays.

Starting at the top gate is better ,easier than walking up hill,tour groups mostly start at the bottom gate so you'll hit a human wall when your just over half way down :)

Whatever time you go ensure you take a LOT of water with you,it cannot be bought inside the site,there is no shade and the natural bowl of land in which it sits traps in the heat.a hat,covered shoulders and supportive shoes for the rubbly ground too.

Lady visitors from south east Asia are the most sensible...they bring parasols or umbrella's to shade themselves :) very smart idea.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

You lose the sunlight on the front of the library after midday.

TX
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Excellent points. We were there mid-May, and temperature was not a concern the day of our visit. To us, temperature would be more important than crowds, so we would have gone early as a good compromise. Enjoy!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Just inside the site at the lower gate there is now a cafe and a public toilet. So making sure you are hydrated and abluted befor entering is not such a problem now. The cost of coffee and water is more expensive than in Selcuk but not prohibitive.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Thank you to everyone for your words of advice! I really appreciate it. Sounds like the consensus is to go early. I will take an umbrella in addition to wearing a hat. I did that in Egypt many years ago and that trip was in the spring not the summer like this trip will be. So I am hoping I will be as ok as one can be under the circumstances. We will definitely take as much water as we can in our backpacks.

Now the "to use a guide or not to use a guide" question. I have read the forum. There seem to be a variety of opinions on this. We are history geeks so getting a good guide could be a real treat. Getting a bad one could be agony. We'll see..........

Thanks again all!!

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Can I confirm that Ephesus opens at 8am?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Until the end of October yes.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

Increasing numbers of Turkish tourists are visiting at week-ends, so Monday would be better. The top entrance at 9 - 10 a.m. on a Sunday can be awful. 16.30 to sundown is best.

10. Re: Ephesus ruins first thing or later in the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16