We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Holland , PA
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Planning for my wife and i to go to Isreal for 1st. time May .2008. Who do you recommend ,either a company or individual , who can develope an exciting tour package including air from Phila. , hotels and guide for Tel Aviv , Jerusalem , Massada , Red Sea , Beit Shean , Safed , Haifa and Egypt.

Please email me @ AArbittier@comcast.net

THANKS,

Aron

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Aron,

You will get a lot of good advice here.

FIrst off you will need to make some decisions.......perhaps the very first one being what type tour you want.

Do you want to join up with a big bus tour?

Do you want to do a trip that is just yourself and your wife and a private guide/driver?

Would you like to travel "on your own" by renting a car and not using a tour guide at all?

You will get advice/suggestions here that will enable you to do whichever of those you would like to do. *smile*

Are your interests mainly for religious sites or perhaps archeological or modern Israel or a combination therein?

How long would you like for your trip to be? I suggest a minimum (absolute minimum) of 11 days (this gives you 9 days in the country) and if at all possible go for longer than that.

If you can answer some of those basic questions then the wonderful Trip Advisor folks will jump in and help you start planning!

BTW, just for your information, I have done 3 "big bus tours" and then 1 that was a much, much smaller group (but still through a tour company) and my last trip was done with myself, 3 other ladies and a private guide/driver (we had him with us about 2/3 of our days/nights).......the last one was the best one, but, they were all GREAT!

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

Holland , PA
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Dear Kathy

Interested in small group or if affordable just wife and myself. We are interested in religious and archeological sites. As far as time we have 15 days but would like to include Egypt for museums and pyramids.

THANKS for your help !!!!

Aron

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

I'm wondering (kinda thinking "out loud").....if you have maybe another couple who would like to join you on this wonderful trip. If so, you could split the guide/driver costs and that would bring the price down tremendously.

You can expect to pay (if you go the route of having a private guide/driver) around $300-$350 per day plus his/her housing and meals. It's worth every dime, by the way.

I highly recommend Moti Dagan and you can reach him at DAGAN8@014.NET.IL and also I can gladly give you his telephone numbers if you would like to call him. He has both cell and home phone. Moti is delightful....a gentleman I have had on 3 trips....a Holocaust survivor who is well-balanced in his presenations and will give you just what you ask for.

We used him all through the Galilee and then part of our time in Jerusalem.

If you are considering joining up with a tour group and doing the whole big bus tour I can recommend either Gate 1 or Gordon Tours. www.gate1.com or www.journeys.unlimited.com/ Ask for Roberta when dealing with Gate 1 and ask for Ray when dealing with Gordon Tours.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

Holland , PA
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Kathy ,

Gordon tours web site no good.... not working !!! Can you try it and advise !!

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Sorry about that!

www.journeys-unlimited.com/

I just now went there. This is the correct link.

I do hope that you will consider the private tour route (perhaps with another couple), too. Price out all the "pieces" and see what you come up with.

Any trip you take is going to be good! I promise that. Israel owns my heart!.......well, at least a large portion of it.

By the way...I will be in Israel next spring, too. I depart the USA tentatively on the 30th of April for a 14 day trip.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

I'm going to bump up a couple of threads I think would be good for you to read. One of them is my trip report from last fall and the other is one that I believe Labatt (Douglas) started that talks about "a third way of touring".......I think you will find the information valuable. Also, of course, read Labatt's trip report from last fall. (We were in Israel at the same time!).....

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Another offer for your trip planning -- I have written a 35-page, noncommercial guide on travel to Israel that I am happy to send to anyone who asks. It is based on my eight trips to the country, most recently last October and November, when I had the pleasure of meeting Kathy. If you are interested, e-mail me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it via return e-mail with a .pdf file attachment. I'm a labor and employment lawyer, not in the travel business, so no strings and no obligations.

Douglas Duckett

Still in sunny Palm Springs, California

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Well, folks, my lack of computer 'net savvy is showing......I thought I could easily find the threads I wanted to "bump up" and I can't find them. Can anybody help? TIA

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

HI! You indicated you are interested in religious sites. Of all religions or just yours?If just yours what is that? Also, no one mentioned day trips that can be picked up WHILE in Israel.

BTW as someone who has been in Israel over 40 times I caution you against renting a car. The reasons are:

1. would you drive in midtown Manhattan ( NYC) If not, don't rent a car

and

2. While driving you can' t enjoy the scenery, you are busy looking at the road and the other vehicles. The non-driver may be busy reading a map. Your first trip should be spent absorbing what is going on on the sides of the road, not the road itself.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,446 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need recommendation for BEST tour package(company/individual

Could not disagree more with the last post. It is true that driving in downtown Tel Aviv or Jerusalem is daunting, and I don't generally do it. But having a rental car opens up so much of the country to see outside the main cities, including the North of Israel. Driving in that area is not difficult at all. I've rented a car for eight trips, and would never do it any other way. And I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, not Manhattan.

Douglas Duckett