We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel in December?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Israel in December?

I am looking into going mid-December. Is it a good time to go? How's the weather? I hear its pretty stable but I'm curious as to why prices seem to be lower. I've had travelers tell me the cheaper prices usually reflect some negativity in other places like too cold or rainy season, etc...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,632 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel in December?

Israel has two seasons basically. Summer is dry and warm to hot, and lasts from May until some time in October. It almost never rains then, and is sunny almost every day. Some time in October, the winter rains arrive, and "winter" begins. In winter, it can be cool to cold, though seldom bitterly so. Rain can be a factor, but seldom several days in a row. It's more intermittent rain, with occasional periods of heavy or frequent rain. The country can be quite cool (50s to 40s), and in higher elevations such as Jerusalem, it can be quite a bit cooler, including low temperatures near or rarely below freezing. On quite rare occasions, Jerusalem sees short-lived snows.

The weather is very much like southern California.

So it can be cool to cold in December, and wet. Or it may be mild and sunny. You can't know, and that's part of why the prices are lower. My first trip in November 1988 was from Nov. 20-Dec. 4, and I had great weather.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel in December?

OK thanks!...We can handle some cold just not the seeping through every layer of clothes cold.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel in December?

While Labatt is absolutely correct, make sure you take at least a sweatshirt and rain coat if you are going to spend time in Jerusalem in December/January. I thought the weather was a lot like San Francisco, with the exception that my wife and I got caught in the once every couple of years snow this past December. We did not have warm enough clothing for the day and a half of -2 to 3 degree (Celsius) temperatures.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,632 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel in December?

Good point, dctravel. Knowing that weather is unusual doesn't help if you are caught in it.

Douglas Duckett

5. Re: Israel in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:15