We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

When I was in Israel in March of 2006 the group I was with (big bus tour) went to a replica of the Tabernacle of Moses in the Wilderness on our way to the Dead Sea. It was really a nice experience for us and a wonderful teaching tool for the leaders. We were quite impressed with how well done it seemed to be.

I now have a friend who is returning to Israel next week and he is leader of a bus and wanting to go to this same place. He has sought my help.

Well, I have searched online to no avail for informaton about this place. The only place similar is 'way down about 20 miles north of Eilat and that is NOT this place that I am seeking.

Their website was something like tabernacleinthewilderness.com, but, it is not there any more.

Does anybody here know anything about the place I am describing? It appears that perhaps they have closed it.

Thanking you in advance for helping my friend.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

Was it ON THE WAY? not IN Jerusalem itself? I know of the Temple Institute but it's inside the old city of Jerusalem, here's the link:

http://www.templeinstitute.org/index.htm

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

It was out in the "wilderness" on the way to the Dead Sea. One of the drawbacks (for me at least) of being on that big bus is that I have no idea of its exact location as I just rode along. **grin** But, definitely it was on the way to the Dead Sea.

I have been to the Temple Institute in Jerusalem a couple of times.

This exhibit that we went to see was a life-sized replica of the tabernacle including the whole courtyard etc.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

Hi Kathy ~ I found reference to a life size model at Kibbutz Almog? Not sure if this is the one you are thinking of, but various tour outlines say its on the way to Ein Gedi.

~ Jen ~

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

Jen...thanks. It was not on a kibbutz. The man who began the work and carried it on with various others helping is a Christian from North Carolina, USA (if my memory is serving me correctly). Somewhere in my files I have some very good pictures of the place.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

Apparently it was near Qumran. I have no idea whether it is still there.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

Thanks, Anon. Yes, it would have been in that vicinity.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

My understanding is that this attraction has been closed and the website is gone.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

After extensive searching by myself and my friend (the one who is preparing to go to Israel next week) I pretty much came to that conclusion, however, wanted to know for sure.

If it has indeed closed that is certainly a shame.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

9. Re: Tabernacle in the Wilderness replica........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:20