We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing cameras

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bringing cameras

I have read that camera equipment may be retained at the airpot and that may be returned to you damaged or not at all. Is this true? Also that I have to pay taxes on camera equipment.

How many cameras can you bring in to the country? I have a small pocket camera and a Nikon camera with 2 lenses. Should I bring one, both or none?

I am kind of concern about this. Should I be?

Can someone tell me what their experience have been on this regard?

I will appreciate any feedbak.

my e-mail is anaivette64@yahoo.com

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing cameras

I have never had the slightest problem taking cameras into or out of the country. Given the volume of tourists going in and out of Israel, nearly every one of them with a camera, we would have heard of this on the forum if this were a real problem. I'd relax.

With any electronic equipment, the rigorous airport security may take a look at it. Just understand that and roll with it.

Douglas Duckett

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing cameras

Last time I was there, I brought in a Canon DSLR body with four lenses, flash, tripod, etc. I had no problems.

I did have to unpack it all for security when I left. Not a big deal.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing cameras

Like many other rumors, there not a grain of truth to this story. You can bring to Israel your camera and all the camera equipment that you want. This goes for small, big cameras or video cameras.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing cameras

There is no problem with camera equipment. If you were bringing in multiple high quality cameras they would be concerned with your bringing them in to sell and want you to pay tax. Alternatively, if you are really bringing them in and planning to bring them out, a notation would be made on your passport--and when you leave you have to prove that you did indeed bring out all that you brought in. ( this possibility exists with ALL electronics)

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing cameras

I was travelling with 2 cameras last week to Israel plus a number of other electronics (MP3-players) for work. I did not have any (apart from checking the charging racks) problems with either.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing cameras

Thanks to all you guys have been very helpful

Israel
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing cameras

Yes, I had the same problem with cameras, but that was 25 years ago, you were allowed only one camera and had to register it to make sure you are taking it out with you. This was cause there was a very high costum duty fee for anything electronic. Those days are over , there is no import duty on cameras, camcorders etc etc. ( Just dont bring in a suitcase of Nikons, that might be a problem). I must also say that in the last 15 years when arriving in Israel and going thru the green light (nothing to declare) I have never seen anybody got stopped. There are many electrical items in Israel that cost much less than in the USA. Go figure it out.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing cameras

Unfortunately, we were stopped a year and a half ago, at 05:00 in the morning, after a 2-night flight from Miami via the UK. We (my husband, myself and 3 kids, including a rather tired 5-year-old) were coming home from a summer holiday in the US, with no more than 1 case per person. We didn't have anything electronic, and we didn't think we had anything to declare, but we did have a beautiful glass sculpture from Corning, which ended up smashed on the airport floor ....

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing cameras

I have made close to 50 trips to Israel and never been stopped. However, customs does sit and watch everyone who is walking through the green line. What causes them to pull someone over--is known only to them, BUT I have seen it done!! --So no one should say it never happens--it does!!!

Israel
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing cameras

Hold your horses, I did not claim that nobody gets checked at the green exit, I just said that I did not see anyone gets stopped in the past 15 years. Before that every other person was stopped and checked. If you came in with more than 1 pair of sneakers you were a criminal, they had pretty crazy laws then, forgett about camcorders, you had to register them going in, you were charged $500 on your credit card and if you were leaving w/o it you paid the $500 plus a fine which was more than the camera was worth.