We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

Westfield, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

Getting ready to leave on Wednesday for Israel. As I look at the weather for the next 2 weeks it looks like it will be getting up into the low to high 80's. Is that accurate? I don't want to be packing for high 60's low 70's and end up swealtering.

Thanks,

sandjk

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,313 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

No one can accurately forcast the next two weeks. Weather forcasting is not ( unfortunately) an exact science. That being said, here is a link to the Israeli Meteorological Service.

I don't see the 80's mentioned, but keep checking.

http://www.ims.gov.il/IMSEng/All_tahazit/

Westfield, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

You are Johnny on the spot rdglady! I like that. Where I got my information from is: http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/israel

And I chose 15 days out. Check out the site and let me know what you think.

I've already switched my clothing choices once from wear to warmer wear.

I'm also hoping that the days that we will be visiting Holy sites where you should cover more that our tour directors will advise us. I'm bringing a long cotton dress and scarf for my head. I know I've read where they say no tank tops, but I'm wondering if your arms must be covered down to your wrist, is elbow length okay or what? Don't want to offend.

I so appreciate your input.

Thank you.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

Elbow lentgh is fine. Bring a light jacket, it get cooler in the evening.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

And remember - good walking shoes, not new!!! Goog socks to go with it, to cusion your feet.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

www.weather.com offers 10-day forecasts for Tel Aviv, Netanya, Haifa, Tiberias, and Jerusalem that are as accurate as those can ever be, which is to say, not very, especially at this time of year.

As for coverage, generally as long as your shoulders and upper arms are covered down to at or near the elbow, you'll be fine. (You legs too, of course.) Standard polo shirts are fine. And you can wear a sleeveless top as long as you have either a light jacket or shawl to put over your shoulders when you need it. That's what my friend Joy did in 2005, and it worked fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Douglas Duckett

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

I've been to Israel twice during this time of year. I tend toward being warm-natured. I was comfortable in taking light-weight clothing and having a jacket or sweater for the early mornings and the evenings. If you are cold-natured you would obviously want a little bit warmer clothing.

I don't think I would wear sleeveless (but, I don't anyway...) because what could been seen as bare shoulders will not work. *smile* Take along a shawl or a big scarf if that works for you.

As for headcovering for ladies....I have not been to a place in Israel that actually required it.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Westfield, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

Hi Shoshi.....thanks for the input.

I am bring my Croc's and a pair of Teva sandals, both very comfortable. Also a pair of dress shoes, strapy sandal like for the evening...if needed.

We will be arriving late afternoon on the 20th. What is your take on the weather for the next couple of weeks? The heat is a concern for me.

Do the ladies there wear shorts to the knee, crop pants and capri's while touring?

Also...does the Dead Sea have a strong Sulfur smell to it. I am highly allergic to sulfur..

Thank you,

Sandra

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

Bring a pair of comfortable WALKING shoes, please. There are all types of terrain, a fair amount of walking is unavoidable, it could still rain, and the worst thing is to be hampered by blisters or aching feet and legs.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

If you are touring holy sites, none of the options you gave are good ones. You need to cover your legs, either with slacks, jeans, or ankle-length skirts. Capris that go almost all the way to the ankle will probably pass, but are subject to challenge if not "long enough." Men need to cover their legs too, by the way, so this rule at least is not a sexist one.

Neither Israeli men nor women wear shorts much. They just aren't that common. But in places like Tel Aviv or other days when you are not touring religious sites, they are perfectly fine, weather permitting.

You're going to have to pack for a possible range of temperatures. This time of year, no one can predict two weeks out with any meaningful accuracy. As is true in the US, March is unpredictable. And do take a small umbrella as you may still have some rain, though the rainy sesaon is ebbing.

And as for the footwear, amen to that! As AZZenny well remembers, on my October visit, my friend Louis wore well broken in sandals the first day as we walked all over Tel Aviv. His blisters were so bad that he could barely walk for two days, even for a few feet. Even with sensible walking shoes, I had some too because I wore cotton socks that got damp and retained moisture.

You will walk A LOT. Take very good walking shoes and non-cotton socks that wick away moisture. Go to a running-shoe store and they will carry them. You'll do a lot better.

Aren't you proud of me, AZZenny? I'm educable!

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather forecast for next 2 weeks?

P.S. If you're highly allergic to sulphur, the Dead Sea will not be a good place for you, I fear. The sulphur baths at the Ein Gedi spa are an obvious no-no.