We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

Holland , PA
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

Our family is flying to Isreal out of Newark , N.J. I am worried about security on Continental. Is it as good as EL AL ?

Aron

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

Probably not as secure as El Al, but driving to the airport is more dangerous.

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the security on flights to Israel of airlines other than El Al. My experience on Delta (twice) was that there were Israeli security personnel involved in the pre-flight screenings, and I suspect that Israel insists upon that for all flights into Ben Gurion, so I think you should not be worried about Continental. But if you are, you might inquire with the airline further.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

I think the nationality of the security personnel is less important than who is setting the standards they work by. Israel by itself is meaningless. Are they screening with the same standards as El Al. Delta code-shares with El Al and this might explain their screening procedure. Of course, it is important to realize that no airliner wants an incident on their plane so nothing I am writing should be construed as a negative against Continental. Bottom line --ask, but don't be surprised if they refuse to answer.

Holland , PA
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

rdglady,

I agree with you that Continental will not publicly discuss their security but i am hoping to hear from passengers as to whether they felt secure and why or why not?

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

I guess what I was suggesting was that I believe the security screening is actually in the control of Israeli security services for all airlines entering that country and not just for El Al. I don't know if there is anyone capable or willing to answer that question, of course.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

We flew on Continental last fall. I thought the security was very rigorous.

After going through the usual security check, but before we boarded the plane (I think in Newark), we were ushered into a waiting area that was separate from the rest of the open waiting areas.

They set up these big room dividers around us, and there were people guarding the opening between each one, so no one could "break" through instead of going through the security area.

There were two checks we went through, and then we were "wanded" and our carry-ons were thoroughly hand-checked. I actually have a photo of this security area:

http://tinyurl.com/5j8k66

In this photo, two document check areas were on the left, the wanding and carry-on check was on the left. It's kind of blurry because--although I didn't see a notice to the contrary--I was a little nervous about taking a photo of the security process ... but I was impressed and wanted to document it.

Hope this helps--

Cheers,

Jan

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

Oops, I meant the wanding and carry-on check was on the RIGHT. Hate to be a broken record ... but I wish we could edit our own posts! ;-)

New Haven...
Level Contributor
287 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

I flew with them from Newark to Israel a couple months ago and was not impressed with the security. You go through the regular TSA area, then shortly before you board you go through the area (exactly as depicted in the previous poster's photo) where they inspect your carry-ons and wand you. It took me and my belongings maybe two minutes at the most to go through. And the people going through your carry-ons, wanding you and checking your passports and boarding passes were - I am almost certain - New Jersians, not Israelis.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

I am flying Continental to Israel on May 1.

Last time I went I flew Delta.

We checked in at Indianapolis, changed planes in Atlanta and on to Newark.

There was no "extra" security such as El Al has.

I was not dismayed or alarmed, but, that's just me.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety aboard Continental Airlines to Isreal

Oh, how I wish we could edit our posts!

We flew Delta from Indianapols to Atlanta and then to TEL AVIV (not to Newark!).

Kathy