We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

I will be flying into Ben Gurion around 5:30pm on a Friday. I was wondering if anyone would know whether I would be able to get a sherut to Haifa this late on a Friday, given that Shabbat would have already begun.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

No problem, sherut works 7days/24 all year round.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

I just realised that I'm in the same situation in terms of landing during Shabbat (the day after tomorrow!). I need to get to Jaffa - would I be better off getting a private taxi or taking a Sherut to Tel Aviv and making my way from there (are the local buses also out of service?).

On a less important note, will the currency exchange booths in the airport be open during Shabbat?

Cheers!

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

To Tel Aviv there is no sherut from Ben Gurion. You'll have to take a taxi. It should cost you 126 shekels, plus a few shekels (3-4) for each case (not hand baggage).

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

the currency booths will be open, try to use the ATM machines for better rates.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

Ya, there were no sheruts - I paid 130 to old jaffa hostel... deffinitely agree with ther suggestion to use ATMs, the commisson at the currency exchange was painful :(

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

londonshinjuku - we told you so LOL. I am glad you got to your hotel safely and wish you a great trip. Please post any questions you might have. Don't forget to visit the Abulafia bakery on Yefet street.

austria
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

Hello, my name is melanie and i have a question. I will be at ben gurion during shabbat ( saturday afternoon) and want to go to tiberias. Are there sheruts going directly from the airport ? or do i have to go to the central bus and train station in tel aviv?

Thank you for your answers.

Shalom, melanie

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

Buses and trains do not operate on Shabbat. I hope others will answer your question about sheruts to Tiberias, though you may have to take a private cab.

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

When are you coming to Israel? Busses start runnibg at the end of Shabat, so you can take a taxi to the central bus station and take from there the bus to Tiberias. Depending on the month and hour the train might be working so it will much cheaper to get to the central bus station in Tel Aviv.

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheruts/communal taxis from Ben Gurion Airport on Shabbat

If budget is a concern, you can take a cab to the Tel Aviv central bus station, wait for sunset, and then grab the first bus to Tiberias.