We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Tour Guide Help

New york
5 posts
Save Topic
Hotel and Tour Guide Help

I am planning a family trip for next summer 09. We are a family of five and are looking for hotels in tiberias, tel aviv and jerusalem. I would appreciate any feedback on hotels that are nice and that can accommodate all of us in a room if not connecting rooms.

The other area I need help in is a tour guides. We are looking to teach our kids about Israel (their first time there), we want them to have fun, and be somewhat educational. The kids age from 4 to 11.

I appreciate the help.

AL

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

How long is your trip?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

Welcome Hounddogs!

It would be really helpful if you gave us a bit of detail about yourselves and your interests. For example, do you need your hotels to be kosher? Would you consider short-term apartment rentals instead of a hotel? Also, are your children boys, girls or both?

And you've already been asked - how long are you staying, and will it be early in the summer (like June), or later on.

Regards,

Debi

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

Also kindly, so we make sure you don't visit during the holidays, if you could give us the planned dates of your trip...

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
12 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

Do not use UNITED TOURS. I had bad experiences with them, specifically MOSHE the tour guide. Condesending, your kids will not learn from him. I heard good things about Rent-A-Guides.

We stayed at the Dan Panorama Tel Aviv and were amazed at the breakfast.

Hope this helps.

New york
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

We are planning on going toward the end of July. We are planning 14 days (some being spent with family). We are not looking for a kosher facility, have not thought about apartment rental. I know I would like to be near the beach in Tel Aviv, and centrally located in Jerusalem.

The age of my children are 11- girl and two boys 4 and 9. I want them to leave Israel (at least the two older ones) with a good understanding of Israel, but most importantly to have a connection that will make them look forward to returning. Besides what I just mentioned, I want them to have fun.

Thanks for the help!

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

Tisha Be Av is July 30th, so expect lots of traffic at the Kotel on that day and the evening before and some restaurants closed in Jerusalem on the evening of the 29th, but apart from that things should be normal on weekdays.

In Tel Aviv I would book the Alexander suites; in Jerusalem see whether the Inbal suits your budget, or try the Dan panorama (join edan at danhotels.co.il for better rates and discounts). In Tiberias I would suggest staying outside Tiberias in a tzimmer like Vered haGalil where they also have a kind of dude ranch.

Enjoy!

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

I heartily enjoy the kibbutz hotel at Nof Ginosar which is right on the lake and outside of Tiberias. However, the dude ranch setting recommended here might suit better for your young ones. *smile*

An apartment in Tel Aviv and in Jerusalem might be a great choice for your family.......if you decide to look at a Tel Aviv hotel we certainly enjoyed our stay quite thoroughly at the Melody recently.

Guides.....you can get recommendations from searching this forum using the "search feature". My personal recommendation is Moti Dagan who is an extremely energetic grandfather who has guided me on 4 trips now. He has a nice van that seats six. We did our private tour with him earlier this month (we had 14 days in the country and we used him for 10 of those days).....he will tailor make your tour to your specifications and he adores children. You can contact Moti by email at DAGAN8@014.NET.IL I really like phone contact much better and can give you his phone numbers if you would like.

Enjoy your trip planning! This forum and its wonderful members will give you much help.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

Buried in the middle of this thread is a statement not to use United Tours. Be aware that United, which runs day trips, is a HUGE company using many guides. Moshe, is a very common name. Saying stay away from Moshe the tour guide is like saying stay away from John or Mary.

9. Re: Hotel and Tour Guide Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 02:17