We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problems cancelling with Regent Tours

toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
problems cancelling with Regent Tours

Has anyone had the unfortunate need to cancel with Regent Tours and were there any problems receiving a credit card refund?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

I have never had to cancel a tour with Regent nor with anyone else for that matter.

I do know that when you placed a deposit for your tour the contract explicitly stated what happens in case of a cancellation. Much of it depends on timing such as how close to the departure date the contract was cancelled.

Read over your contract, the answer may be there!

Good luck.

Dr. Z

toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

We've only booked hotels with Regent and the cancellation policy is not clearly written (possibly because of language differences). The issue for us is how much cancellation/interruption insurance to purchase. This type of insurance is quite expensive. That's why we're wondering if anyone has had the need to cancel (either before or mid-trip) with Regent specifically, and how easy/difficult was it to get a credit card refund.

Marlene

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

The issue of cancellation insurance and trip protection has been discussed on this forum and many other forums on TA. I fully understand what you are asking but can't answer you because the question is so subjective.

I have never bought trip insurance for any trip and, thankfully, have never had to cancel a trip. In my opinion, I have come out financially way ahead by not purchasing the insurance over the years. It's the same reason I have never bought the Auto Club insurance...it financially does not make any sense.

There are others on the Israel forums who have used Regent. Maybe someone that has had experience with cancelling a trip with them will chime in.

Dr. Z

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

In 2006 I had planned a trip to Israel that was to take place in late summer. My hotels were reserved through Regent. We ended up cancelling those reservations (later did re-schedule........), but, it was far enough "out" that nothing had been charged yet, so, there was no issue with needing a refund.

**scratching head** Just returned 10 days ago from Israel and used Regent for hotels again. Nothing was charged to my credit card until the stay, so, once again I am really no help.

I highly recommend that you call them and ask them about their policy.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

I have asked them for their policy (in writing). It is very liberal and not that specific, which makes me a bit suspicious. Traditionally, agencies do not give you any refund once you depart. This is why we always purchase insurance (contrary to Dr. Z's advice

I once needed to rely on the insurance because of a death in the family a number of years ago). Guess this explains my sensitivity to the subject.

While Chantal sounds trustworthy,I'd love to hear from anyone who might have been in the situation where they required a refund from Regent, particulary mid-trip.

Kathy, interesting to hear that you weren't billed right away. Chantal says she'll be charging our card 7 days prior to departure.

Thanks for comments.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

Marlene -

Please don't get me wrong. I was not advising you to forget about the insurance! Like I stated, it is a very subjective decision and I only wanted to point out how I base my own decision.

Dr Z

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

I have used Regent twice. I was told I would be charged 7 days prior. I was not either time. I do not know why.

Travel insurance............I purchased it for this trip (this was discussed in another thread not very long ago) and even though I didn't need it I don't regret the expenditure (I didn't think it was expensive, really....I used Access America).

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

New Haven...
Level Contributor
287 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

I canceled a hotel with Regent before I left for my trip. Chantal told me it would take some time for the refund to show up on my card, and indeed, several days later there was the refund.

toronto
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

That's encouraging to hear. Thanks.

Save Reply
10. Re: problems cancelling with Regent Tours

A bit off topic, but can someone email or post a email address and phone number for Regent? I have heard so many good things from them but cannot seem to find this info on their website.

Thanks,

Roberto.