We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

My favorite airline arrives in Tel Aviv at about 2 AM after a very long journey. My impulse is to rent a car and just start to drive up the coast. But what is the most practical approach?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

How far up the coast?

You are going to be very tired after a long flight. I'd suggest cabbing it to Tel Aviv, stay at least one night in a hotel there, then rent a car starting in Tel Aviv for your drive north.

Douglas Duckett

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Doug is right. Do you want to start trying to figure out the highway system in the mdidle of the night? After a very long journey?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Thanks guys. Yes, it isn't very practical. I have just never had the experience of checking in at 4 AM.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

I had that experience when arriving on a KLM flight in May 2005 (that may be your "favorite airline"). I was supposed to arrive on Air France, but missed the connection at Charles de Gaulle, and was re-routed through Amsterdam. It was indeed strange, but a whole lot better than trying to drive up the coast at that hour. All I wanted was a bed.

Douglas Duckett

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

If you have a very good reason to start in the north, you can take the train from the airport to Haifa. Not that I reccomend it - I thing the best thing is a bed in Tel Aviv. Make sure you can check in to your hotel at that time.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Depends how long you are here for, and how chipper you are after a flight. If you know that you will be awake and alert, and would prefer not to be in the city, then renting a car at the airport may work for you.

One advantage is that the roads will be clear at that time of day and you'll make good time going north. Israel's roads in the center of the country can be a nightmare during business hours with long traffic jams even on the major highways. Getting out of Tel Aviv by car during the day can be frustrating.

A good compromise might be to rent the car at the airport and book a night or two at a hotel in Hertzliya Pituach, just north of Tel Aviv. The hotels are right on the beach and less hectic than Tel Aviv. The advantage is that it's very easy to continue north from there, especially in the morning when most of the traffic is going south. Don't drive north in the late afternoon on a weekday because you'll be caught up in the rush.

---

Fred Schlomka

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

How far up the coast do you plan to go. Personally, rather than spend the money on a night in Tel Aviv --if you don't really want to stay there--I would take a taxi to my Northern destination and then rent the car from there the following day. I arrive late afternoon and go directly to Netanya. I have found that I am exhausted ( don't forget the time difference) and it is safer to take a cab than drive. ( I have done both)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,231 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Another good option.

Douglas Duckett

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have been exploring opportunities and the price of air is going up so I will have to make a decision soon. I should clarify that "favorite airline" means storing frequent flyer miles and yes it is NW/KLM. I am having a bit of problem trying to find rental car companies but that is another issue.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv arrival in the middle of the night

Eldan comes very well recommended in this forum and abroad, and they also have a not luxurious but well located hotel in Jerusalem, offering packages on hotel+rental if you wish.