We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I wanted to share a link to an audio interview on a site called "The Amateur Traveler" at www.amateurtraveler.com." The host, Chris Christensen, contacted me after a friend of his had used my travel guide, and he asked to interview me on travel to Israel. We held the interview recently, and it was just released this afternoon. You can listen to it through the link below:

amateurtraveler.com/2009/…more-2054

The timing of the piece is obviously not the best -- coinciding with Israel's ground operation in Gaza -- but I was pleased to be able to help encourage people to travel to Israel, particularly at this time. So I hope you enjoy it.

As a nice touch -- Chris is now offering my Israel travel guide on line, and you can get it from that site. I will, of course, continue to send my guide through e-mail. I actually enjoy that contact with travelers, and it gives me the chance to answer follow-up questions.

Just to assure -- I was and will be paid nothing for this, so I have no commercial interest in the site or the interview. As with all my Israel activities, it is completely non-commercial in nature.

As is true with all of us, I'm sure, our hearts and thoughts are with our Israeli friends at this difficult time. I pray for peace for all peoples in the region.

Douglas Duckett

Singapore
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Hi Douglas, I enjoyed listening to your interview tremendously. Very well done! Thank you for sharing!

P.S. Hopefully one day soon, someone from the TV station will invite you to do a travelogue on Israel.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Thank you for your kind words!

As for TV, I think I have a face for radio. :-)

Douglas Duckett

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
322 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Doug, your podcast was absolutely wonderful! I wish I could jump on a plane right this minute. You really made the place come alive. Also, I have to say I agree with the other commentators, you are a natural as a reporter. Actually, I think the timing is very good. I work in a prison and I find that outsiders often overrate the danger. With the security there it is a much safer place to be than in the car driving to and from.

Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Awesome!

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Douglas

Great interview! I love your description of Tel Aviv as the love child of NYC and Miami! Makes me want to start planning another trip.

well done!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Thanks to both of you for your very kind words.

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

WOW!!! I'm bowled over. Douglas - that was an amazing podcast. I am in awe of the way you express your love for Israel.

Looking forward to 2010,

Debi

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Finally, I have listened till the end.

Wonderful!!!!

I especially loved your remarks about the "mosaic" by the end of the interview.

Let's spread the news about this wonderful place while people are hesitating wether they should visit or not.

Regards, Matzchik

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

With my Stone Age 26.4 dialup connection I cannot listen to the interview and I am very jealous of all of you who had the privilege. **sigh**

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amateur Traveler podcast on travel to Israel

Kathy, you can download it and listen.