We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - More Questions

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - More Questions

I would have posted this on the other site but it seemed I needed to take it in another direction. I see that Eldan rents Prius. It got me to wondering about the price of fuel and how much fuel I might be using taking a week traveling north of Tel Aviv, to Akko, Safed, Galilee, Tiberius, Nazareth to Jerusalem and points in between. Any ideas? Also, any way of getting around the Comprehensive other than getting a special credit card? I see my travel insurance would cover nearly every place but Israel. Why?

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Safed
Safed
Galilee, Israel
Nazareth
Nazareth
Galilee, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eldan Hotel
Eldan Hotel
884 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

Gasoline costs 2-3 times as much as in the US. I would expect you to fill your tank twice at most with the kind of travel you're describing. It's not cheap but not that much money. I wouldn't spend a lot extra to get a Prius for that reason.

The standard CDW coverage that most Gold and Platinum cards offer exclude Israel, Italy, and Jamaica; sometimes Ireland. Not sure why, but in Israel's case, I assume that it is a combination of a higher accident rate than in most countries plus a problem of theft in which cars are stolen, taken to the Palestinian territories, then stripped and sold for parts on the black market. The only way I know to get the coverage is to get a MasterCard World Card. Check with your existing MasterCard to see if they will upgrade you; it's not hard to do. I got a card from Bank of America until poor customer service ticked me off, then I upgraded my old Citi MasterCard to a World Card with no difficulty.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

Hi Doug, Do these World cards have other advantages that you know of?

new york
Level Contributor
250 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

I Have a city Worldcard and it has all the advantages of the platinum (that I know about) PLUS it covers CDW.

1) Flight insurance (not travelers insurance)

2) 1 AA mile per dollar

3)Price match guarantee

4)Concierge service.

Thats what I can think of at the moment

Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

For 1 week, a Prius is about $150 more than a Subaru B3 (similar size) - you wont get this fuel saving unless you are doing a much bigger mileage than that because above about 20km (I think) the Prius works on petrol anyway and most of your driving on that route will be on faster roads

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

Looks like my Citi MC is about ready to expire and I think I may have already stopped it. I have a Platinum BofA AE which gathers world points but I never use it and wonder if it is useful. I will have to see about it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,033 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

As far as I can see, it needs to be a MasterCard World Card. VISA and American Express stopped covering Israel many years ago, at all levels. A lot of us have checked into this. It needs to be a World Card, not a "World Points" card, and it needs to be a MasterCard brand.

I'd see if you can reactivate your Citi card, or barring that, as BofA to issue you a MasterCard World Card.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

Thanks Doug. Much appreciated. Don't exactly understand why Israel is excluded from coverage by my trip insurance for comprehensive but I guess I will take it as a warning and be extra careful. I hope there is not too much wrecklessness.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

Hopefully - lots of wreck-lesssness

and not much - or no -

reck-lessness

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

Well, I don't feel comfortable getting another credit card so I guess I will have to bite the bullet. Hopefully AARP Visa works for most other things. Anyway, now I have another question. I am arriving at about 3 PM on a Saturday. I guess the question is whether to rent at the airport or get a sherut (which hopefully will be available) and go to Tel Aviv for a couple days, rent there and then head up north. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental - More Questions

If you are intending to stay in Tel Aviv for a couple of days, then don't take the rental car from the airport, just take a taxi to your hotel, and pick up the rental car in Tel Aviv before you go north.

After a long journey, it is probably the best way to go.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv