We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Mid/Late March - swimming anywhere but Eilat?

Chicago
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Weather in Mid/Late March - swimming anywhere but Eilat?

I am finalizing our itinerary and just wanted to check to see if anyone thought the weather would permit swimming at any of these locations: 1) Kibbutz Ein Gedi 2) Kibbutz Ein Gev or 3) Tel Aviv? I would like to give my kids a chance to relax and unwind at a pool or beach during our trip but we've ruled out going all the way to Eilat. If it is warm enough to swim at Ein Gedi we may overnight there 1 night - otherwise I plan to just do a day trip to Masada to leave more time for other sites. (My kids are, I think, too young for the Dea Sea). If Tel Aviv will be warm I'm inclined to finish-up our trip there - if not we may concentrate on the Galilee and Haifa and maybe add the Golan if it will not be too cold then. Thanks so much for all help - I'm looking forward to posting my "final" itinerary so I can see if my hours spent pouring over all of the amazing posts on this site have paid off!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Mid/Late March - swimming anywhere but Eilat?

First of all - you made a good decision not to go to Eilat.

Some of the Dead sea hotels have an outdoor heated pool. I don't thing Ein Gedi has one.

Ein Gev is on the Kineret - too cold for swimming .

The mediterranean see is going to be too cold for swimming (at least for me), but on a nice day your kids can have a great time running on the beach, playing with sand, collecting sea shells and maybe flying a kite. Both Haifa and Tel Aviv have nice sandy beaches.

I wouldn't arrange my itinerary around going to the beach. How about taking your kids to a zoo? There is a very nice zoo in Kiryat Motzkin (near Haifa) , another one in Haifa (Gan Ha'em on the Carmel) and a big one (the Safari) in Ramat Gan near Tel Aviv.

www.haypark.co.il/Site/en/Pages/homePage.asp

http://www.safari.co.il/content.php?id=3

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Mid/Late March - swimming anywhere but Eilat?

MB is right - it will probably be too cold to swim, and anyway, I think the lifeguards in most places don't start that early in the year.

Even if your kids were old enough for the Dead Sea, it is not a place for swimming in, so I agree that you made a wise decision about that, and about Eilat too.

However, nice sandy beaches can be found at a number of spots along the meditteranean, and it will probably be warm enough for them to have a great time on the beach. Tel Aviv, Herzliya, Netanya, Dor Beach would be my choices - choose the one(s) that are most convenient for the end of your trip. Don't forget the sunscreen, hats, and plenty to drink, even in March.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,558 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Mid/Late March - swimming anywhere but Eilat?

There are some days that the weather may reach into the 70's . If so, the water, while cool to Israeli standards is warmer than anything in NY in July ( or even late August) Since you are from Chicago--if you luck into warm air temps, your kids WILL get into the Mediterranean. Netanya has one beach open 12 months a year. I do not know about other locals. For wadding you don't need a lifeguard--for everything else please, please, please don't swim in an unguarded area.

4. Re: Weather in Mid/Late March - swimming anywhere but Eilat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:29