We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airplane tips

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airplane tips

Any tips for a 10-11 hour flight?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airplane tips

Some tips:

• Drink plenty of fluids, but avoid alcohol (maybe one glass of wine), and I avoid carbonated beverages. But stay hydrated.

• Move around every 2-3 hours so that you don't develop the deep-vein thrombosis.

• Some people like to use a half-tablet of Ambien or Melatonin or Valerian to help sleep. Know the effect on you before using anything!

• Some people like eye shades.

• I like aisle seats so I can get up and down without inconveniencing others.

• I like the noise-reduction headphones with soothing (such as New Age) music.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airplane tips

Douglas gave you great tips. Just to add on the staying hydrated part....begin the hydration process 24 hours before your trip. It will make a difference!

Dr. Z

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airplane tips

Hi, Doug which earphones do you use. I looked them up and there is such a wide array of earphones with prices from $19 to a couple of hundred. Would like to buy one for me, one for husband. Also do they come with an adapter so you can listen to the planes music/movie...thanks in advance

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airplane tips

To add to Doug's list

a. fly night flights--so your body WANTS to sleep!

b. buy a blow-up U shaped pillow for your neck. I find that when you sleep in a seated position, if you ever really fall asleep your neck flops to the side, you feel pain and you wake up. The pillow prevents this.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airplane tips

I purchased Audio-Technica headphones, and they were terrific. Some people swear by Bose, but they are costly, and Audio-Technica got good reviews. I have been pleased with them, and they enabled me to get a solid four hours of sleep on a recent trip to Italy.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airplane tips

I had a blow up neck pillow for my trip to Europe 5 years ago but had a hard time with it. Since then I have acquired spondylosis. This time I have splurged and have already bought my memory foam pillow for the trip in May. It is a little smaller and lighter than the one I regularly use at home. But I can actually sleep for quite a long time without hurting my neck with one of these.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airplane tips

Are you travelling with kids? If so, take small surprises along (new books, crayons/paper/stickers, small puzzles). And non-sugary snacks in case they don't like the airline food. Let them run around as much as possible the day before and in the airport before the flight so they will be tired during the flight. And make sure they drink extra fluids too.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airplane tips

I just bought some at Radio Shack for less than $50 USD. They work fine. I cannot imagine spending $200-300 for ones from Bose. They may be better, but not THAT much better.

I'm so glad that my second major at university was economics, and that I paid attention to the concept of diminishing returns....

Douglas Duckett

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airplane tips

Doug . . . some what? Audia-technica? Or what? Thanks.

D.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airplane tips

Actually, I just checked mine, and they're from Sharper Image, which is, of course, since out of business. But I paid $50 or so from some from Radio Shack for a friend I traveled with in 2005, and I can't remember the exact brand. That's about what I paid for mine from Sharper Image.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Douglas Duckett